Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 28, 2005, 2:51 PM   #1

10X optical zoom? For those of you with cameras with the 10X, do you use it alot? I mean, it sounds GREAT and I went out today and tested a few camera and the 10x really does an excellent job, but I am wondering if I really truly NEED it. Sure I want it but I have spending limit right now and the 7590 doesn't really fit into my budget. I mainly take photos of my children, family, landscapes, etc. A professional I am not (though I wish I was!). I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that I will LOVE my new camera no matter how much optical zoom it has. :G

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hope you all aren't getting sick of all my questions! I am such an indecisive person and all your answers greatly help in my decision making :idea:
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:05 PM   #2

Have you considered a 6490? They are a bit less expensive than the 7590 and still a good camera.

I have a 7630 and really do like the camera and it's features but wish I had spent the extra $$$ and got the 7590. About 6 weeks after getting the camera I purchased the Kodak 2x telephoto zoom lens. I have not played with it much but I just had to have more than 3x optical zoom for some things I would like to do. Perhaps you won't NEED 10x zoom but it sure would be nice to have! When I bought the 7630 it was just under $300 plus $60 for the lens and adaptor ring. For that price I wish I had picked up the 6490. I'm certain that the 4MP 6490 would take adequate pictures for me, an amateur.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

I wanted too the 10x optical zoom too. But I guess to use it you really need a tripod or a really steady hand. My hands not great at remaining steady and I dont want to carry around a tripod with me. But I aruged with myself about that for a while. In the end i chose to go with the bigger megapixel (6.1mp) then the zoom. Though I think it would be nice to use. But if I am not mistaken, on most of these cameras, we can add those lenses (sp?) on there.
AquaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:48 PM   #4

I have the DX6490,,,and i can tell you if you plan on using the camera outdoors a lot you will love the 10x zoom,,,i almost always have mine at the max optical zoom...if you get one you`ll never want less.....i have a 1.7x lense that i add on to the 10x zoom,,and i still want more...wildlife shots demand at least the 10x zoom or you have to get to close and spook the animal......

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:13 PM   #5

AquaCity wrote:
Quote:
I wanted too the 10x optical zoom too. But I guess to use it you really need a tripod or a really steady hand. My hands not great at remaining steady and I dont want to carry around a tripod with me. But I aruged with myself about that for a while. In the end i chose to go with the bigger megapixel (6.1mp) then the zoom. Though I think it would be nice to use. But if I am not mistaken, on most of these cameras, we can add those lenses (sp?) on there.
I have the Kodak 2x lens but even with that it's only 6x. That's really adequate IMO for most people but I'm sure that if I had a 10x I'd never go back.

Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 6:57 PM   #6

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
i have a 1.7x lense that i add on to the 10x zoom,,and i still want more...
Brian
Christ on a bike Brian.
646mm isn't enough?
It is for me.

Attached Images

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:08 PM   #7

Well Paul,,,when you`ve had (if you ever do) the use ofa Carl Zeiss 1000mm mirror lense,,,,,the 646mm kind of pales in comparison...don`t get me wrong,,the TCON is a great lense for the price and really clear too.....but when i`m out bird shooting ( with a camera),,,,more is better.....

But,,,,no way i`d lug the Zeiss lense out in the woods without an ATV to carry it,,,lol

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:55 PM   #8

And there I was thinking of a 2000mm lens for my SLR.

My kind of lens
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Have you considered a 6490?
I actually have looked into it. The only thing is, I would much rather purchase a camera through an actual store that I can go in and test the camera out first and there aren't any retailers around me to do so with this particular model.

Quote:
I wanted too the 10x optical zoom too. But I guess to use it you really need a tripod or a really steady hand
My hands are not that steady either. While I was out and about today checking out cameras, that is the first thing I noticed with every 10x, it seemed awfully shakey.

"Cold Snail" what a gorgeous photo!

Thank you everyone for your tips and advice!

*niki*
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:35 AM   #10

kodak 6490. 3rd base line. second deck. 5-10 rows up. full 10x optical zoom. I love my 6490!
Attached Images

bishopprice is offline   Reply With Quote