Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:29 AM   #1

I have a 7590, so specifically, has anyone developed any tricks for getting a shallow depth of field with this cammera aside from blurring background in Photoshop? I have read all the obviously literature on the net and ot seems to point to the fact that it is nearly impossible to attain a blurred background in a portrait scenario, barring some sort of work arounds that try to trick the cammera, and they all seem to be cammera specific... so, if anyone has figured out some tricks to achieve this effect I am all ears Will the wide angle lens I have comming make it any easier?

Thanks in advance
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:29 AM   #2

The way to acheive a shallow depth of field is to use a large aperature (low f-stop). I believe the 7590 has a maximum aperature of 2.8. Your results will also depend upon the distance between your subject and its background. The background blurs when it is not in the focal range of your lens.

For flower photography (not the same thing, I realize) I use the macro mode and zoom in on my subject. This has the effect of increasing the apparent distance between your subject and the background.

I hope this helps. Let us know how things work out.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:46 AM   #3

I'm using a 6490, but in addition to the points Tom made, I'd try to get the camera as far away from the subject as possible and use the zoom to get closer...

MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4

Is that the best the cammera can do? With a SLR I know you can really distort the background a lot, to the point where it is no longer distingusable. Also, the 7590 (and I assume 6490) will decrease the appature as you zoom in to about f3.8 I think at 10x zoom. Also will the wide angle lens make any difference?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:06 PM   #5

The 6490/7590 should give you some pretty good results using the method described above. I don't think a wide angle lens would help in a strict sense, but you will get an interesting effect if you zoom with it. The more you zoom, the softer the edges will get, until it is impossible to focus at all. Not really what you're looking for, but some people like the effect. Strictly speaking, the purpose of a wide-angle lens the opposite of zooming.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:46 PM   #6

Sorry - I didn't mean my post to be an example of the best this camera can do...it's just an example of the sort of effect I thought you were looking for.
MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:51 AM   #7

I didn't mean to imply that your photo was an example of the best that could be done, rather the process of attaining the shallow depth of field. Didn't intend to offend you, sorry