Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:44 PM   #1

Howdy folks, did some searching and haven't found the info I am looking for:

I need to buy a cam in the next 24 hours and have settled on either the 7590 or the 6490 (can find them both locally at Wally World for a decent price).

Problem is outside of the 1MP difference I am not seeing what the 7590 has over the 6490.

My real world usage: Pics of the kids, pics of the kids playing sports (football, baseball and basketball), family outings, 4x4 trails/rockcrawling and the occasional Xmas card picture.

Please help me out...
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 7:28 AM   #2

I've owned both cams, and I would recommend the 7590. If you're chasing kids, you'll want the faster shot-to-shot time that the 7590 offers. The burst mode http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...1&pq-path=3065 on either camera will do a great job of capturing the action, but the 7590 does it noticeably faster than the 6490.

Good luck and congrats on your new cam.
cc_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:02 AM   #3

Well I found a pretty good deal on the 6490 so I picked that up earlier. Will be charging it and testing it out in the next few days. If I find it too slow for my needs I can exchange it for the 7590 and pay the difference.

Any thing I should know about the 6490?
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4

Yes..............Go to the KODAK site and download the FIRMWARE for your camera. Fact, if you haveany KODAK cam go see if there is FIRMWARE updates for your it.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:16 PM   #5

I checked the Kodak web site and didn't see firm ware for the DX6490. Am I missing something??? I'd realy like to know as I plan on getting mine off of layaway at Walmart soon, and would like to upgrade the firmware if it is available.

Da Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:19 AM   #6

No - Unfortunately there aren't any firmware updates for the DX6490. However, there is one for the DX7590 which addresses its low-light focus issues.

Mark

MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:29 AM   #7

I hope Kodak is listening to all the owners of the DX6490, and will soon upgrade the firmware to allow some of the issues owners seem to have with this camera to be addressed. I've not even got mine yet and can see some issues with it could be improved with new firmware. Kodak needs to remember that the owner of a DX6490 today may become the owner of a High end Kodak DSLR in the future. But inattention to thier complaints can turn them off to the Kodak Brand. I understand that not all petty problems can be solved, but the ones that seem to be the most bothersome should be looked at and then addressed. If they don't they will loose market share and turn off many prospective new, and many old custumers.

The Dawg
:|

Maybe we need to get together and start a write in campaign to Kodak from all DX6490 owners. There are a large number in this forum and others as well. Recon that would have any impact? Just a thought.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote