Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:45 PM   #1

I've use the Kodak 6490 for around 6 months and overallvery pleased apart from the built in flash redeye or perhaps the children are not what they seem!! Problem solved with an opto-isolator (to reduce contact voltage)attached to my old external flashgun.

My question is has anyone tried the 2x and even 3x converter lenses advetised online. I guess it may be pushing the image quality but I'm intrigued by the possibilty of a 20 to 30 x magnification. Yes I know it will need a good tripod and a still day!!
maydencroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:54 PM   #2

Well,,,,,,,,,Raynox makes a 2x tele for the 6490,,,i was going to try one,,,but decided it was too much money and bought a TCON17,,,which i highly recommend,,if you are willing to throw good money away,,or if the seller offers a money back satisfaction guarrantee,,then go for it....i e-mailed a pile of these losers selling this trash and none to date will offer a refund if it`s junk,,,actually none of them even replied to the e-mails,,,,,so that`s a good indication of the junk they sell...i`m thinking if you look really close at the lenses you`ll see COCA-COLA embossed into the glass.....since they are made to the same specs,,,why not i guess....seems expensive for something you`ll hide in a closet because you are assamed to let anyone see what you did...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:34 PM   #3

Thanks Brian

Your comments appear to confirm other viewpoints on this subject. After digging around these forums and searching a few other sites on the panasoic FZ 20 (same filterthread size I believe)the TCON 17 comes highly rated as does a Sony lens, I think the VCL HGD 1758, but at twice the price in the UK !

Lowest price in the UK I can find the TCON is around £65.00 from amazon - wish we could get them at the US rate. I'll hold of for a while and see if any friends are visiting the states this year. If not there is always Xmas to look forward if ' the home management' releases the funds.

Thanks again

Vaughan
maydencroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:43 PM   #4

May want to check out the tele lense for the Canon S1 IS too.....it`s part number is TC-DC52B it`s 52mm rear thread will not fit the kodak adapter but will fit with an adapter ring,,i`ve heard that purple fringing is a little better with this lense too,,,the TCON17 adds a little purple fringing (CA) but is not bad and can be corrected quite easily..and the canon lense is fairly cheap here,,,,,cheaper than the TCON17 anyway..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:44 PM   #5

I'll just add my two cents to what Brian has to say here. Be careful of junk. An inexpensive lens may seem attractive when you are beginning to assemble a larger camera kit. Trust me, I tried some of these in the infamous Times' Square shops last summer. A couple of test shots were enough to convince me that I was better off saving my money for something better. I chose the TCON-17, which is a fairly good lens. You probably won't notice any purple fringing unless you're taking very high contrast shots... eg. twigs against a white sky.

regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote