Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 26, 2005, 4:40 AM   #1

:OHi All,

I recently bought a Kodak DX6490. The accessory booklet , that came with it says that , it is possible to add 2X zoom,close upand wide angle lenses. However when I went ahead to buy one , I learnt that only wide angle zoom lense are available along with adapter.

Can any one let me know, if it is possible to add a zoom lense from some other brand to DX 6490.

Pl Help

arindam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:14 AM   #2

Hi,

There is plenty of advice here about add on lenses for the 6490. You just have to look back over the pages in the forum. I have been reading this forum for a few months now and it is a mine of information. Not just about what equipment is available but also how to take good photos and anything else you need to know about photography. I have really learned a lot from the people who post on here. Anyway. To give a little bit back here is an answer to your question. There are many add on lenses available for the DX6490. Some are good, some are not. After investigating for a while I settled on the Olympus TCON17 which fits straight on the Kodak adapter (thanks for the advice Tom). This probably isnt the most powerful lens available but it is certainly great value and is a great piece of kit. I find I dont use it as much as I thought I would anyway, but when I do I am very happy with the results. The zoom on the 6490 is sufficient for most purposes but if you need a little bit extra the TCON is a handy accessory to have in your camera bag. As i said, there are plenty of other lenses out there, but this is what I settled on after reading the forums for a while and drawing on the experience of other like minded people. I am pretty happy with my TCON.I will post a couple of sample pics later.

Hope this helps, Jak
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:14 AM   #3

I have a DX7590 which has the same lens as DX6490. I have just purchased a 2x tele & a .45 wide angle lens with the necessary adapter tube thru' Ebay from HKDCPLUS and am well pleased with them. Just punch in DX6490 in the search on Ebay and you should have a choice.
Robstreats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:18 AM   #4

Daytime pic with TCON17
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:20 AM   #5

Daytime pic without TCON17
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:23 AM   #6

Nightime pic with TCON17
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:55 AM   #7

Nightime pic without TCON17
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:34 AM   #8

Hello and welcome to the forums;

The Kodak wide-angle lens is definitely a great lens. The TCON is good in most situations too, but is sometimes prone to little colour shifts on the edges of high-contrast shots, particularly twigs or structures against a white sky. These are evidence of two separate phenomenon called Purple Fringeing (PF) an Chromatic Aberration (CA). With the TCON, the problem is usually not too pronounced until the contrast between the edges is really high. For what it's worth, I've seen pictures posted with the Raynox 2020Pro which display the same problem.

In this shot, look at the edges of the structure under the pier. (by the way, apart from the PF/CA, I kind of like this shot... I wish it were warmer here)

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote