Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:29 PM   #31

Bigdawg,

Absolutely awesome!

Looks like you know your way around a machine shop.

I made a down and dirty bracket myself this week, far less elegant than yours, but it works. I lack your skills with the big tools. I won't get a chance to post pics until this weekend though.

A tip of the hat

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:32 AM   #32

Many thanks for the comments Bob. I can't wait to see the
pictures of the bracket that you made. Remember that function
means more than beauty. Also think, you're never finished with a project. It's always a work in progress. Kind of like you're marrige, kids and life in general, you keep working on it till you reach a certain level of comfort. That said I really would like to see what you've done, so I can steal you're best ideas. I need feedback and ideas to keep the process going. All y'all out there with ideas comments both positive and negative please give them to us. Don't be shy or think you don't have anything to contribute. YOU DO!! As my Daddy used to say the only dumb question is the one you should of asked but didn't!!!!!
Oh yeah Bob, I must confess to having access to a lot of machine tools, but every thing done to these mounting brackets can be done with a drill press and hack saw. you just have to think you're way around obsticles.

Homily for the Day. A short cut is usually the long way around!!

Dawg's Quite now.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:10 AM   #33

Here are the drills and taps you need to do this project.
They are left to right; 6-32 tap, #36 wire gauge drill,
8-32 tap, #29 wire gauge drill, 3/16" drill, 1/4-20 tap,
#7 wire gauge drill, 3/8-16 tap, letter size O drill, and a 1/4" end mill.
I used the 3/16" drill for a pilot hole on the 1/4" clamping holes. Then finished with the 1/4" end mill. This gives the holes a tighter fit and smoother inner finish. I also used the 3/16 drill to drill the outer clearance holes for the 8-32 tapped holes. This gives room when the clamps are bending in.
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:34 AM   #34

Here you need to make a mark 3/8" from the end of the brass mounting screw, then chuck the end into a drill press. GENTLY!! or you can damage the threads beyond repair. Then taking the edge of a mill-bastard file carefully cut a relief
into the screw. This will allow you to have a captive screw. No hunting for that pesky critter, it will stay in place. More on this in the next post.

All things will be revieled Grasshopper.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:05 AM   #35

On this one you can see where the clamping hole is marked but not cut and no hole is cut for the mounting screw. This is to be done when I've determined where I will need it. Then I will use the #7 wire gauge bit to drill this hole out and screw the 1/4-20 brass mounting screw through. with the relief I cut into the screw this will make it captive. Qh yeah, even though I've access to a lathe, I went ahead and cut that relief the way I described it. Took about 2 min. The rubber cover is a piece of inner tube for a car tire, about a 1/16" thickness. I used a 3M sprayon adhesive to attach it and the dreaded Box Cutter ( Shudder!!) to trim it.

Dawg sleeps now.
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:48 AM   #36

But then you can also use one of the two 1/4-20 holes in the bottom as a keeper hole for the brass screw. Your choice. Don't cut the 2 1/4-20 or the 3/8-16 in the rubber. This will act as a cushion stop for the tripod screw when mounting to the tripod, in case the screw goes all the way through the bottom mount. Whew!! Whatta mouthful.

Dawg needs more coffee!!

Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:03 AM   #37

Side view with rubber mounted.

Coffee's go-o-o-o-d!

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:42 PM   #38

Wow!

Looks great!

Can't wait to see some shots taken with the finished product!

Mark
MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:41 PM   #39

Alas, as I said in the begining the bracket is real but the camera will have to wait another month before it is paroled into my possesion by Wally World's lay away parole board.
I really liked Bob's though, and am full of questions, like does it have any deflection when you trigger the release, and how have you solved the half way shutter delima?

Dawgs have inquiring minds too.

Dawg
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:30 AM   #40

Ahem!! Attention!! For those who feel this bracket will be more than they will want to try. Go see the bracket made by Bob Mevis in another topic elswhere in this same forum. It's ACES and Dawg approved. His Bracket is simple but elegant and looks quite capable for any and all 6490& 7590 cameras to use. Now we can all have the release Bracket that after mrkt. vendors seem reluctant to supply. All hats off to Bob, Job Well Done.

Dawg howls loudly in approval.

Dawg