Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:21 PM   #41

This is for MarkFaulkner, I haven't given up on the Bracket I've just let other things like an eye cup get in the way. I'll be back soon with another post as soon as my daughter sends the cable release. Don't know when that will be though, She's like her Mom, a little scatter brained at times and needs to be reminded.

Da Dawg

Dawg's Daughter

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:25 PM   #42

Sounds like you've got lots of customization projects for your 6490...hopefully you'll still have sometime left over to get out and use it once it arrives! :lol:

I haven't had much chance to use mine lately- still lots of messy snow on the ground.It's starting to warm up though and I'm looking forward to spring to get out and about again.

Mark
MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:32 PM   #43

No worry there Mark. the only thang that will suffer the first few days before the new wears off. will probably be my corespondence on this forum. Well maybe a few Honey Do's will get pushed back. Just don't tell my wife that.

Dawg
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:35 PM   #44

I've updated the graphics so everyone can read the measurements a little better. Hope this helps answer some of the questions I've been getting if there are more questions feel free to send me a message.

The DAWG
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:32 AM   #45

I'MM BAACK!! Went and bought a cable release. Finished the bracket tonight. I'll post some photo's this weekend when I can borrow my granddaughter's camera. That I can show it to you with the DX6490 and her little HP. I believe it'll work on both. SEE YA Sooon!! Or as arnold would say "I'll be back"

The Dawgenator
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:22 AM   #46

Here is a view of the top portion of the bracket before mounting.
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:36 AM   #47

I used a 1/2" copper bolt and a brass nut. I Drilled a hole through the bolt with a letter size J twist drill ( .2770 ). Then in the side of the head of the bolt I drilled a hole useing a wire gauge #36 drill and tapped it out with a #6-32 tap for the set screw. I also widened the slot to a 1/2" size to acommodate the 1/2" bolt, thus making it adjustable for different cameras. More to come this weekend when I have another camera to show it mounted on the DX6490. I also am looking at ways to make a soft pad to mount to the cable end to prevent any damage to the shutter button that might come from prolonged use.

The over worked Dawg.

Any ideas on the soft pad send to Dawg at Dawg Town. Or you can just post them here.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:55 AM   #48

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Any ideas on the soft pad send to Dawg at Dawg Town. Or you can just post them here.
5 min. epoxy putty is your friend, along with, say, a 4-inch square of Saran wrap.

Saran wrap goes over top of camera and button. Gently press epoxy glob down to take the form of the top of the button.

When epoxy sets, the Saran wrap will peel right off, and it has prevented the epoxy from sticking to the button. If you want the button-touching surface to be soft, a skim coat of RTV (silicone rubber) is hard to beat.

Shaping/finishing the top of the epoxy is simple as itremains very workable for at least a day. Maybe there's a way to mount the release and just form the epoxy around the tip? A small amount of vaseline or silicone grease willkeep the epoxy frombonding the plunger to the release body.

If this is for multiple cameras, you probably will want to pick the one with the smallest button.

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:51 AM   #49

Thanks Dgehman. I think I'll have to try that one. Lord protect me from my wife's wrath if the saran wrap leaks.

Dawg
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:23 PM   #50

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Lord protect me from my wife's wrath if the saran wrap leaks.

Not epoxy liquid or paste, BD - epoxy putty. It usually comes in a little plastic container like a sawed-off cigar tube. Some forms come in a dual ribbon. You cut off what you need, then knead it to mix it.

It should be in the epoxy gallery at your local hardware or Lowes/Home Depot. There'd have to be a pretty big hole in the Saran wrap to allow it to stick to the camera button.

As for running -- About the only way you'd get the putty formto run is to try to cure it ina 250-degree oven, which would be a little hard on the camera...

Dave

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote