Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:10 PM   #1

Does anyone know if the 6490 can use a remote shutter release!
I've got a 6490 on layaway at walmart and am
trying to round up the nec. accesories. I am looking at a
TCON-17 2x lens converter and would like to use a tripod
and remote shutter release for late evening land scapes.
Any help greatly appreciated.

:?:
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:22 PM   #2

Unfortunately there is no (commercial) remote shutter release available for the 6490 or any of the Kodak DX cameras. You probably could use the self-timer option (10 seconds) though. I believe that some people have been able tobuild remote release cables creating mounting backets, etc.

Mark
MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

Thanks for that information. The older I get the more unsteady I am and the more my finger shakes. A remote would have been a welcome accessory even when using a tripod. I guess I'll have to try the timer as you suggested.
Another question. anyone have suggestions on eyepiece and lens hoods for this camera?
Again all help and suggestions welcome.

Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:21 PM   #4

Hi Bigdawg,

Lens hoods are readily available for the 6490.

You will need a lens tube adapter for your 6490 so that you can use a lens hood. Be aware though that there are 2 sizes of lens attachments for this camera-52 and 55 mm. there is nothing wrong with either one. you will just have to match everything up or you will have to buy a step up ring. In my area 55 mm is more prevelant.

As for the eyecup i can't help you there,it would be nice on sunny days, but fortunately this camera has an electronic view finder and switching to that in sunlight is the way to go, as the LCD washes out in bright light.

This is a great camera and you won't be sorry that you bought it.

Bob

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5

Thanks Bob, I don't think I'll be disapointed. My last camera was a Pentax K1000 that I gave to my daughter after wearing it out for about ten years. This camera should blow the skirts off it!
By the way I hear that 55mm is the way to go to avoid something called vignetting. Anything to this? And would a lens hood cause the same thing or make it worse?

Thanks again to Mark and Bob!!!!

The Dawg
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:33 PM   #6

That's why I went with the 55mm. Although to be honest i'm not sure what vignetting is, shadows around the edge or something. It hasn't been sunny here so I haven't tried the lens hood yet., but i've been told that they are nice for really sunny shots.

I'm going nuts waiting for good weather, I like to bicycle ride in the evenings and i'm hoping to combine that and my newfound love of Photography.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:41 AM   #7

Yeah, know what you mean about the weather. When we get any sun it'll be in the middle of the week when I gotta work.
Can't wait to get my camera off of layaway and neither can my wife! I'm driving her crazy spending all my time on the computer learning all I can about this camera. Well gotta go, but thanks again for everyone's help.

The Dawg

As Arnold would say I'LL BE BACK.

Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:25 PM   #8

You should be very happy with this camera. You may want to try out a couple of lens hoods - some of them can cause problems in the corners. The TCON17 is a good lens. If you are at all shaky, a tripod is definitely a good idea.

Enjoy your camera.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078

P.S. Don't wait for good weather.

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:25 PM   #9

Any Ideas where to Buy??

Da Dawg: :?:
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:33 PM   #10

I think as soon as I get my 6490 I'll start making a shutter release for it. Heck, I modify multi-million dollar industrial equipment for a living, I should be able to do this little job with out loosing any sweat. Just give me awhile till my wife pays it out of layaway, then I can draw up a dimensional drawing and share it on this forum for anyone that wishes to use it.
No I will not make one for everyone that wants one but I will share any information that I have on it!!

Dawg

Probably be out of padded aluminium and utilize a commercialy available cable release.

:idea: