Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:31 PM   #11

Sure, I would be interested in seeing some of your pictures. I want to get an idea how they look as I've never shot any ultra zoom camer at its maximum zoom.I really don't want people to think I'm here to trash Kodak (Olympus C-765/C-770 both suffer to at full zoom shot mode) because that's simply not true. OK, so I'm a little biased here since I own a Canon digital camera. I guess I'm just curious because who knows, I might take a look at one in the near future (but am inclined to grab the expected release of Panasonic DMC-FZ5).

I suppose all the negaive reviews, mostly by consumers, are from people who has little experience with digital cameras. I guess, to be fair, you can count me in since I own the relatively simple Canon Elph S410 camera.

Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:15 PM   #12

Whoops, look down.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:16 PM   #13

Elphman wrote:
Quote:
OK, so I'm a little biased here since I own a Canon digital camera.
That's ok, I own a Nikon D70 as well as a DX6490, CX6230, DC3200, DC20, DCS410 Pro SLR and DX7440.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:45 PM   #14

Well here`s a few hummers,,at full zoom,,,i used flash for fill....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/100_1782.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...224steeves.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/100_1246.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...100_1220pb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...filtereddp.jpg

Here`s a woodpecker..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...100B8210pb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/100B7200.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...682resized.jpg

All of these were taken at full zoom,,,some with the tcon attached,,,,all were taken without a tripod except i think maybe one,,,not sure....i think they look fine,,,,,no DSLR,,,,,but decent...i like Canons,,,going to have 2 shortly,,,,,but kodak 10x zoom is hard to beat,,bar none...at the price..

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:01 PM   #15

Awesome photos! Truly stunning pictures. They look so "real" and vibrant. I am very impressed. Your photos make my S410 photos look boring.Is the Kodak camera you own hard to learn? Any tip you can give me if I want to take full zoom pictures (to get the same kind of result you were able to get)? I'm not so much into nature, but wouldn't mind taking bird shots here and there. Would the Kodak without the image stabilizer enable me to take shots of sports, people moving?How do human pictures have normally turned out? Greattone of human flesh color?

OK, suppose I check out the DX cameras, which one would you recommend I test out? I don't think the DX6490 camera, the camera you own, has a dock. ***I forgot to ask, what is TCON17?? If I was to buy this camera, should I get one?

You state you are going to purchase the S1 model, why not wait for the new Panasonic DMC-F5 camera which is expected to be released next month? It supposedly has higher response time to take pictures not to mention, 5MP.

Good news is, if I DECIDE to buy a Kodak the price will be affordable. If I opt to wait for the Panasonic, I can expect to pay a hefty price, probably $499.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:11 PM   #16

GDay Brian,

I think you have proved your point, it was great to see your wonderful Hummingbird pictures again.

You have made it clear that when used properly the Kodak DX6490 is capable of producing World Class pictures.

You have also proved what I have been trying to get across to people for years, its not the camera that is responsible for great pictures, its the photographer and how much he or she has learned over the years.

OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:14 PM   #17

You did not rain on my parade. I just think you are a bit off with your analysis. Frankly, there is a bit of snobbery by folks against Kodak--some people would not get caught dead with a Kodak in their hands. Kodak fits a niche, and a very big one at that. They just passed Sony as the largest seller of digital cameras in the U.S. Why? They provide a solid camera at a low price. The colors and sharpness produced are top notch. And, since most people do not enlarge past the 8x10 size, the average consumer is happy. Their goal is also admirable. Kodak is pursuing market share and putting off large profits till later. They can do this by relying on profits from other parts of the company. This should not be a critique. The Japanese did this with television sales and now there is no U.S. manufacturer of TVs left.

Canons are excellent cameras, as are Sonys. But many of their cameras are expensive and not as user friendly as a Kodak easy share model. MockKodak if you will, but Kodak is doing well in the market place. Their shift toward digital products shows that the company has a strategy for surviving in the long term. I am sure the features you mentioned will be added over time, when it is cost effective. Lieca makes excellent cameras, so does Contax. Both faired poorly because they forgot the consumer. Theywill soonbe gone. Kodak gives theconsumer what they want for a fair price.And their professional 13.4 megapixel camera is half Canon's price -- again, a selling point that makes even some pros pick up a Kodak. Thanks for letting me have my say.
Just FYI: I own the DX7630--3x zoom, but 6 megapixels, and prices are under U.S.$300.
KenTaiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:34 AM   #18

Elphman,,,the one main reason people buy the easyshare cameras,,,,it`s ease of use,,,,you honestly can pic one up and use it without a manual,,,,,for most shots,,,the menu layouts are awesome,,of all the cameras i`ve had,,,this is hands down the easiest to use,,,bar none.....it is after all targetted at the beginner,,,,with options to please even most semi-pros....

Sport photo`s outdoors are fairly easy,,,,just make sure the shutter speed reflects the shot,,,,meaning that you need a high shutter speed of course in an action enviroment,,and if you need to up the ISO to get that high shutter speed then do it....using sport mode helps a lot to as it puts shutter speed as a priority....

As for indoor sport shots,,,well let`s just say that`s a different story,,,,for all point and shoot cameras,,,if the lighting falls short then you are going to struggle for that high shutter speed,,,,the only real answer is a DSLR,,,you really need a camera capable of high ISO shots without noise,,,and these small cameras with their small sensors won`t get decent shots easily,,,you can learn to get some,,,but it`s not easy.....

I would get the DX7590 or the soon to be released Z7590,,,the 6490 lacks the newer models in some ways,,,the newer models have a way better EVF,,,,don`t black out the viewfinder in burst mode,,,have a lot more scene modes,,,,different flash options,,etc,etc.....and will perform better in a sports enviroment...the Z7590 is going to have a live histogram too........

The DX AND Z 7590`s are just better cameras,,,,,,without a doubt.....

The TCON17 is an add-on telephoto lense made by Olympus.....it`s 1.7x magnification,,and screws directly to the kodak filter adapter...and is a fairly cheap well made lense that gets you from 380mm to 646mm without a lot of purple fringing.....

The main reason for gewtting the Canon S1 IS is because my retired parents live in Florida every winter,,,i had the Canon drop shipped to them to save on tariffs,,,it was cheap,,,300 bucks U.S...for a new one,,not a refurbished one....and i`m not going to paya pile for a Panosonic,,,if i decide to get a Pano later,,,i`ll wait till the price drops to a reasonable amount.....but i`m really just playing arround till kodak releases something new in the future,,,although i am seriously checking out the Eastshare1 camera....

But,,,i will say that if you do not have a lot of photo experience,,that if you stick the TCON17 on any camera you will unlikely get a clear shot without a tripod,,,you have to be able to use manual modes well,,,to get the shutter speed up,,and if it`s below 1/250 second it`s likely going to be blurry...you need lots of light....so you have to pic your enviroment,,,and if it`s dark,,forget it and take that lense off,,or tripod it....

Glad you liked the pics,,,,if you can afford or willing to pay the bucks for the Pano then go for it,,,it is a nice camera,,and IS does help too......Sony is bringing a high zoom to market too you may want to check it out too....

Brian

Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:44 AM   #19

Thanks Dave,,,glad you liked them ,,,again,,,, can`t wait till summer to get chance at the Bald Eagles with the TCON.....should be fun.....

And yes,,,been trying to for a long time to tell people the camera is a tool,,,if you can`t use that tool then it really doesn`t matter if it`s a 1000 dollar camera or a 10 dollar camera,,the results will still be bad.....you need to read,read,read,,,,,and listen with an open mind..

One thing these young guy`s have over us.....when we were learning you took a few shots,,,wrote down what you did,,,got them developed,,,and hopefully if the publisher did a decent job,,,you could try and learn something from theprints.....

Now you take 1000 pics of the same subject,,in diff settings,,,go downstairs,,load them on your computer,,,,learn instantly,,,and throw them away if they stunk.....for FREE...............i`ve learned more off this camera in a year than all those SLR`s in twenty....and that is the honest truth....but i give kodak credit here,,,the early DC`s were lacking big time....you need a decent camera capable of manual mode shots to learn with,,,the 6490 and newer models are very good in that area...

I`ll bet you`ve learned a ton too from these cheap cameras,,,,and you`ve been doing this with better results than i have by far,,,,,and for longer too..

Brian
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:53 PM   #20

Well it appears that Brian pictures are more justified than the reviews you have read.I have owned 3 Kodak digital cameras and I can't say I've been disappointed with any of them,but then I've never used anything else to compare it to,have you?

I've never had any reason to change the service I get from Kodak as far as quality,ease of use,and price I can afford has kept me going back !!!

Thanks for your outstanding pictures Brian I always enjoy seeing them.You proved your point.The camera doesn't make the picture it's the person standing behind it !!!!

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote