Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:22 PM   #21

Thanks Smiles,,,i appreciate it.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:36 PM   #22

m waiting for your DSLR choice. come on don't deny it . The thought is there at the back of your mind.

Regards

brian
brid653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:17 PM   #23

Well if you mean me,,on the DSLR,,,,not going to happen,,ask Paul,,,,i have no want of that,,i had 2 SLR`s,11 lenses,up-teen filters,,etc,for years,,,got really tired of being bogged down with all the gear,,,now i travel light and can go to 380mm with just one camera,,no lenses,,and if needed to 646mm with just one add-on...don`t get me wrong a DSLR is usually the progression from these point and shoot cameras,,,,but i`m going backwards,,like that better,,,easier to carry...

My look on this is that if you have about 50 pounds hanging off you (been there),,,then you spend more time playing with the camera,,than enjoying the actual event/time/moment where you were at that moment....i want to remember the time spent not how it was wasted....and get some decent shots for memories too....i have no need for pics on the wall anymore.....besides i hate straightening them out all the time,,lol

These small cameras are a marvel,,,and really fun to use........

Brian
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:35 AM   #24

My sentiments exactlly Brian, 46 years of totin bags of gear around was enough for me.

I must say I am in the market for another camera, had a conversation with church members this morning regardiing free wedding photography, as you may know I retired last June, miss it greatly, a Digital Wedding Album presented on a DVD and a CDR would cost me nothing but time, I think the church would benifit from a donation and I would benifit by shooting a few more weddings

They could always obtain Hardcopy at a later date, been looking at the Panasonic LC1, hard to find but a quality piece of gear,the price of the Canon 300D has dropped to about $1300AU, could be worth looking at, would keep the Kodaks for my hobby photography.

I know there are more expensive cameras out there but as I dont own an Oil Well I will give them a miss.

Cant wait to see how you go with the Eagles.

Regards
Dave.
OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:33 AM   #25

YEAH,,i can`t wait either,,,,will try it again with both cameras,,the DX6490 and the Canon S1 IS....the IS should be helpfull with the TCON17 attached,,,,,but i have no problem using a tripod either if needed....and on that subject,,,what`s wrong with using a tripod,,,,,,,i screw mine to the pod and use it as a carrying handle when going into the woods..if i need it i just extend the legs,,if not it`s small enough to leave compacted and i have 1 hand on the DC and 1 one the tripod to steady it when handheld....those Bald Eagles will definately look better with the TCON bringing me almost twice as close......

The Pano appears to be a high spec camera Dave,,,,good choice i think.......kind of ugly,,,but we aren`t going into a fasion show are we,,,,lol.......

Brian
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:19 PM   #26

Here's the deal. I just checked the prices ofthe DX cameras at a local electronic store and the DX6490 is selling for $277 while the DX7590 is selling for $449 (plus $50 mail in rebate through Kodak). If you were in my position, would you rather wait another month and get the Z7590, which will be priced at $449? I don't think you get a camera dock with the new camera which will bring raise the price to around $520 I would presume. But the Z7590 is supposed to be more advanced, or am I wrong? I could also wait until the Panasonic DMC-Z5 comes out around the same time as the Z7590 andpay $499. The DX7590 stilll seem like a great buy right now; I can always purchase a mono pod and/or mini tripod if I feel I really "need" it for my shooting purpose.

Regardless, I really want a ultra zoom camera. The Canon S410 will be my "fun" camera, quick on the go camera.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:10 PM   #27

The DX7590 is a nice camera,,,the Z7590 has a live histogram and possibly a better EVF then the DX7590,,we do not know for sure yet....we need to get one in someones hands to see what the up points are...

If price is a point the 6490 is a decent camera,,i really like it,,if not then get either the Z7590 or the Pano,,,the Pano appears to be a really nice camera,,,but be aware that Panosonics are not nearly as user friendly as the Kodaks,,,but if that`s not a problem then either is a good choice....

And unless you intend on printing huge prints,,and lots of them 3-5 megapixels is fine,,,although 4-5 allows more cropping than 3.2....

Here`s a link to see more DX6490 pics,,,,

http://brianhare.fotopic.net/

If fotopic decides to work tonight,,,,,lol

P.S. don`t forget the Canon S1 IS though,,,,good price,,,great features,,,,,and 3.2 megs is more than enough for viewing on-screen and up to 8x10 or better prints too

Brian
Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:42 PM   #28

Again, beautiful pictures. The Z7590 sounds tempting as well as the Panasonic DMC-F5, but if I decide to get either one, I can expect to spend over $500. Ouch. I suppose I can try out the DX7590 as price continues to drop. Amazon I believe allows customers up to 30 days to return, which is awesome and practically unheard of.

If I do purchase the DX7590, I will post some pictures in this forum and would appreciate it a lot if you, and others, could let me know what you think of my pictures.

Until then....

Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:29 PM   #29

Elphman,,,if you buy it from CostCo i`ve heard they have a no haggle return policy,,,buy it,,,try it out,,,and return it a few months later and they`ll give you a full refund,,,i know of a bunch of people who have done this.....

Brian

Oh,,,here`s a newer album ar photobucket i`m working on this week,,better quality for viewing too,,just click on the album and click the pics to enlarge individually,,,,,,most of the Blue Jay`s are 10x zoom,,,,as well as the hummers,,,,and check the Canada day fireworks and Tallship firework shots too....

http://photobucket.com/albums/v147/brianhare/
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:41 PM   #30

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the referral. I contacted Costco and you are absolutely correct, their return policy is very flexible. In fact, I can return it after 30 days! WOW! I've never heard of such thing but I'm not complaining. After a hard look at different ultra zoom cameras, despite some of its setbacks (per other reviews), I will purchase this camera. It is definitely user friendly and the worst case scenario would be to return it and maybe get the new Z7590?

As to your photo albums, they are again, superb. I take it though most of the shots, such as the birds and boats were taken using a tripod?