Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:15 PM   #31

elphman,,sorry must have missed this last post of your`s......

Most to all of the birds were freehand,i think a bunch of the hummers were tripod though as i was standing inside a patio door for 3 hours to get them,,,arm will only take so much,,all the boats were definately handheld too,,,i was walking arround for 3 hours then just sat up on a ledge and took all the tallship pics no tripod was necessary and it was 200 miles away at home.....

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:15 PM   #32

I just wanted to add my two cents.

I was actually considering buying a Canon Powershot S1 IS, but discovered that for just a little more, I could buy a Kodak Easyshare DX7590. The image stabilization paled in comparison to the fact that the Kodak offered nearly 2 megapixels more and could be pushed up to 800 ISO. Also, the Kodak had one critical feature the Canon was lacking: a PC connection for an external flash. After exploring Kodak a little deeper, I discovered I could get a DX6490, which was one megapixel less than the DX7590 but still greater than the Canon Powersho S1 IS, for $160 less. Then I looked at some sample photos taken by the Canon and then some taken by the Kodak, and then I was sold. I knew right then and there that for less money, the Kodak was a superior product, because gimmicks aside, what really matters to me is the end result. I own a lightweight compact tripod, so image stabilization doesn't matter to me; especially considering that I can push the camera to 800 iso and use burst mode if I need to.

As for focusing in low light, any photographer who knows his stuff will tell you that all autofocus cameras have trouble focusing in low light. That's because most of them need some kind of contrast to focus on. However, I found that my DX6490 focuses exceptionally well in the dark compared to other cameras if I switch it to center zone focusing (from the default of multi-zone), as long as there's some contrast in the center. When it comes to manual focus, I don't recall seeing this on any other digicams in the Kodak's price range.

I see no problem with the JPEG compression rate; I've blown up some pictures already and they're razor sharp. Mind you, I don't expect results like that of a high end digital SLR, but in many cases, I've been hard pressed to tell the difference between a picture taken by the DX6490 and a high end digital SLR. I'm sure it'd be noticable if I was blowing up to poster size or if I was poring over the pictures with a magnifying glass.

I've read a lot of the reviews, and the negative ones seem to stem from a lack of understanding or failure to read the manual. Bottom line, the Kodak DX6490 is the choice for people who know something about photography; that is, the importance of having a high quality fast lens, full manual controls, a high resolution sensor, a broad range of ISO choices, and a PC cord connection for a bounce flash. For what you pay, genuine photographers get a lot for their money with the DX6490/DX7590.
digitalquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:59 AM   #33

Your 2 cents looks more like a dollar to me DQ. I feel vindicated in my choice to go with the 6490. Thanks.

Da Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:19 PM   #34

I'm new to the forum but having been reading all the great posts. I've used Kodak for years and havenot been disappointedwith the camera durability and quality. I began with a DC50, bought a DC290 ( unfortunately it died through no fault of it's own), and have owned a DX 6490 for over a year with no problems. I'm hoping to buy a 7590 within the next month.

Having said all that, I've found that the color greatsaturationin Kodakcameras to be one oftheir strongest points.My friends aretruly impressed by the prints made from the 6490.

I'm asked a lot for camera buying advice, and Iamnever hesitant to suggest Kodak. And no, I don't work for Kodak:-)

Also, Brian has hit the nail on the head, the camera issimply thetool.I've seen very average picturestaken with top of the line cameras. By the way, Brian, outstanding photos.

Terry

tsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:48 PM   #35

I just wanted to present a recent example of what can easily be accomplished with a Kodak DX6490, a $5 easter lilly coming into bloom, a flash with a home-made diffuser made of construction paper and tape, a cheap tripod, and a little patience. Results like this prove that Kodak is definitely quite capable of putting the competition to shame.

Attached Images

digitalquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:23 PM   #36

Thanks Terry......

Brian
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:26 PM   #37

Very nice digitalquirk,,,,well done indeed....this camera is more than capable of decent shots,, if the user knows the camera it can take outstanding shots like this...

It`s all in the user,,if the shot turns out bad,,,look in the mirror for the problem,,,not at Kodak...they did their homework when they made the 6490..

Brian
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:39 PM   #38

Great shot digitalquirk!! Excellent detail!!! And this from a camera some people are trying to say smudges the detail. Again great shot.

:|

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:22 AM   #39
f8

As far as Kodak falling behind there easyshare cameras are second only to sony in consumer sales.Canon is a distant third i have used both and liked the 6490 the Is1 is a good camera but overpriced.Personally i still like the olmpus c-2100 ultra zoom better than both.
f8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:02 PM   #40

This entire site is pro canon, KUDAK users try this place.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/?mforum=1

RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote