Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:52 PM   #1

To all,

My intent here is not to bad mouth the proud Kodakname as they are one of the most reputable names in the camerafilm market. But let's not kid ourselves here, Kodak digital cameras are becoming obsolete compared to, say, Canon brand. I know this doesn't really sound fair considering Canon has been in the market much longer than Kodak, thus having far more experience in this field. Still, Kodak needs to step it up. Your complaints says it all. The issues with poor focusing, lack of manual focus, poor JPEG compression rate, and the mother of them all, noimage stabilization, has led me to conclude that Kodak simply does not care. Perhaps it's due to the reasonon knowing that this market belongs to Canon, Fuji, Minolta, Sony, Olympus,and Panasonic. From what I hear, Kodak is losing a lot of money, as we speak.

Don't just take my word for it, feel free to read other professional reviews on the DX6490/DX7590 cameras, for example. These two cameras might have mostly received 4 stars out of 5, but the complaints that brings the ratings down aresomething to be concerned about. Seriously, why would anyone buy a ultra zoom camera if it doesn't produce crisp shots at its maxium zoom level? To be fair, Olympus ultra zoom cameras suffer too.

Again, this is not an attempt to bash Kodak. I'm just stating what has already been stated by many of youas well asothers on other forums. Let's face it, Kodak has frustrated and/or angereda lot of its consumers. Seriously, maybe they really don't care?

Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:54 AM   #2

javascript:emoticon(':|', 'images/emoticons/camera.gif')
neutjavascript:emoticon(':blah:', 'images/emoticons/tongue.gif')
tongueral
OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:48 AM   #3

Sorry, not taking the bait.
MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:46 AM   #4

Thanks Mark and Shutter Bug, I almost bit.

Dawg leaving
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:48 PM   #5

I`ll bite a little here,,,,,i`m getting a Canon S1 IS in about a month when my parents bring it back from Florida,,,,and from what i hear it`s not good in low light,,,,and suffers from focus problems at full zoom,,,,still a nice camera with a lot of features that i like,,so i`ll do my work-arrounds as i always do,,with any camera i`ve ever bought,,and enjoy it......but don`t tell me kodak is falling behind when Canon can`t do any better,,,and the other high buck Canons have CA problems along with a host of other complaints too....

All DC`S have good and bad points,,it takes a competent user to find the camera he likes/needs and to find work-arrounds to it`s low points.....no camera will keep you totally happy in all aspects,,,,none..

Not trying to stir you up either,,,but go look at other forums as i have,,,everyone complains about something,,,i have a DX6490,,,,and my low light shots are fine to me,,,but i`m not pressing this camera to act like a DSLR either,,,and for the buck it`s not going to either...

I personally think IMHO that the Easyshare1 camera in the tech department kicks everything else off the planet,,,so kodak is well ahead in that department.....show me another camera that i can take a shot,,,,imprint a message and wireless send it to someone on another continent,,,without a computer,,,,,3 inch touch screen,256mb memory onboard,4 megapixels....flip screen...looks to me like the other BIG BOYS in this game better pull up their socks,,,,kodak hasn`t been arround this long to get kicked at their own game.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:34 PM   #6

Fair response. I totally agree thatall DC's have their pros and cons. No camera is perfect. Again, my intent is not to bash Kodak cameras,namely the popular ultra zoom DX series cameras. But by all means, feel free to read the different reviews and you will be hard-pressed not to agree with me. Check out Amazon, Epinion, Dpreview, pricegrabber, CNET (their expert conclusion- "average image quality"), DCresource ("muddy" pics), megapixels.net ("good to very good quality pics" - notice: this 5MP camera didn't even make the "very good to excellent" category). I don't mean to put you on the spot, but you didn't even address the IS issue. I hear that even slight movement can ruin a picture.I'm willing to bet over 90% of your maximum zoom pictures turn out bad. Yes, tripod isstrongly recommended to counter this fallback, butwho would want to carry that thing around all day? Not me. Panasonic at least has come to their senses and released ultra zoom cameras with IS.They will release the 4MP and 5 MP camerasnext month. Canon IS is a decent camera, but it's only 3.2megapixel. If Canon releases the successor to the IS, I will take a hard look at it.

What I like about Kodak DX cameras: - design is verynice. Personally, I would rankthem in the top 3.LCD screen is very big andmenus are simple to understand. Negatives - The joystick and menu dial, from what I've read, will wear out pretty quick. Also, battery door is said to break easy.

I'm sure Kodak is currently working on improving its cameras, especially the IS issue, so perhaps I shouldn't be too judgmental here. In the meantime, I will stick with my Canon S410 camera. Price, size, and overall quality, isright.

Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7

Forget what the experts say, just go and ask the people that use these cameras every day, there are thousands of happy Kodak owners out there.

Not tring to be nasty but I think you have a very limited knowledge about cameras and photography, I would suggest you chec your history books before posting thread like this.

Eg Kodak have been in the camera building business since before 1888, Canon only started making cameras for the public in the late 1920s, so who has been in the camera business the longest?.

Kodak are the largest selling digital camera in many countries around the world including Australia.

I have no problem with people saying what they think, after all my Dad went to war so I could have freedom of speech, but for goodness sake get your facts right before you start slagging of at one brand of camera or another, sadly you only make a fool of yourself.

OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:46 AM   #8

I'll chuck in my £0.02 worth now.

With Kodak holding most of the worldwide patents for digital imaging I'm pretty sure they will have something coming soon that would be a worthy replacement for the current line.

I'm sure that a lot of users simply prefer the Canon/Nikon badge on their cameras.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:46 AM   #9

Proselytizing by denegration, usually leads to failure for the first and disgust with the second. Go somewhere else and preach to the Canon faithful Brother Elphman.

Sorry man my hackles were up and my front legs were gettin stiff.

Big Dawg barks
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:17 PM   #10

IS is helpfull,,,but really only that in MOST cases,,not all....it will allow a clearer pic at full zoom at lower f stops.....but if you know your DC you can up the ISO TO gain a higher shutter speed to get clear shots,,,,,also a good photographer can get clear shots at full zoom with the right camera holding technique and practice.....

You really can`t be telling people that have taken pics with SLR`s for 20 odd years without IS,,,which was not arround then,,,that we can`t take clear shots at full zoom without a tripod or IS,,,,,or are you.....

I`ve got roughly 14,000 + shots with my DX6490,,,,,i can easily say that that out of all my full optical shots that easily 70% were sharp,,,,that`s not to say that i like them all,,,,some had 1/2 a bird in it flying off,,,crooked shots,,,just plain uninteresting ones too....but i also use a TCON17 on this camera handheld and get a very good keep-discard ratio,,and considering that`s at 646mm....i think it can be done,,easily,,by a knowledgeable user.....unless you have the shakes really bad..

Anyway if you like to see a pile of hummingbird shots at full zoom without a tripod or woodpeckers let me know.....i`ve got far too many,,and can spare a bunch...there is a lot that can be done with this/any camera,,with the right user,,,,,and the willingness to learn.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote