Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:41 AM   #1

Hey folks- my 7630 has been working like a champ. No issues there, but that little clip that holds the battery pack down had failed.

First it wasloose, but when I took the pack out it failed completely. I had to remove the clip altogether to get the pack back in.

Without the clip, the contacts don't touch even with the doors closed. I had to jam a fold of paper between the pack and the door to get the camera to get power.

I'll be contacting Kodak..

JasonPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:06 PM   #2

Mine lasted less than one minute after I opened the box. Maybe that was a sign to go elsewhere but I stuck with it anyway. Mine works fine with the battery door holding it in though.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:47 PM   #3

The battery cover on my DX7590 broke within a week.

I'm sure this wouldn't happen if I bought the Kodak dock and didn't have to remove my battery. But it is a bit ridiculous to have it break after removing my battery all of three times.

I have to send the camera away for over a week to get it fixed.

Frig.
okcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:53 AM   #4

Just a question about this battery latch. I've had my DX7630 awhile now and the latch seems fine. However, if it did break, what did you guys do? Did you get it fixed or did you rig something up to substitute for it?

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:16 AM   #5

LINEBACKER 2 wrote:
Quote:
if it did break, what did you guys do? Did you get it fixed or did you rig something up to substitute for it?
Join the Kodak battery clip club. You appear to be among the elite members without a broken clip. Mine lasted less than a week and broke without any battery removal.

Some just fold up some paper or laminate a paper block out of cut business cards and glue. Closing the battery/card door simply pushes on the paper, which then pushes the battery down.

I've rigged up a bent wire substitute out of a #2 paper clamp, because I think thedoor engineers were counting on the clip engineers to do their job. I don't think the door is designed to withstand the pressure of the battery ejection spring. Others say the paper solution is just fine.

The clip failure looks to bea combination of 3 factors: the power of the battery ejection spring, the design of the clip (too thin at the axles), and manufacturing problems. Re: the latter, either the resin is wrong or the molder ran too hot or too cold. If yours was made on a good day out of a good batch of resin, you'll probably never see the problem.

Dave
P.S.: I have contacted Kodak. Everyone with a clip gone bad should at least contact the company. I'm NOT sending the camera in for repair. I need it, and if they simply replace the clip with another plastic clip, it willprobably break again.

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:22 PM   #6

Would it be possible to see a photo of what you have done to fix it?

It definately a poor design on Kodaks part.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:30 PM   #7

LINEBACKER 2 wrote:
Quote:
Would it be possible to see a photo of what you have done to fix it?
First, I measured the original clip, then bent wire (from a #2 paper clamp) to match those measurements. More or less. It took me 4 tries to get one that worked.

In the photo, you're looking at a close-up of the battery compartment. There's an inset photo of the bent wire.

Line A in the battery compartment photo corresponds to line A in the inset.I messed up on B - ignore the crossed-out one on the inset. Dang.

The inset shows the piece prior to filing off sharp points and polishing down some of the ridges caused by gripping the soft wire in needlenose pliers. Leaving sharp points on the axles would cause the thing to wear through the holes in the battery well of the camera body.

The milky-white thing between the side of the camera and the wire clip is a wedgemade from a small piece of silicone rubber. I have to pop out the wedge before the clip will retract and the battery will eject.

Dave
Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote