Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:21 PM   #1

I dropped my digital camera (Kodak DX6490) while it was turned on in Automatic mode. The lens was fully extended. After I dropped it, I noticed that it wouldn't let me turn the camera off. The LCD panel didn't show anything, but the "off" light was blinking spastically in a white light. If I turned it onto another setting, it would blink green. The shutter button wouldn't work, and the lens froze up and wouldn't retract back in.

I bought a new battery for it, thinking the drop might have shocked the battery.... that didn't work. I had to just take the battery completely out so the "off" button wouldn't continually flash.

Would someone please tell me what they think happened and if this could be fixed? I'm sooo upset that I dropped it in the first place.

The camera is only a year old. Any suggestions????????
julieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:39 PM   #2

Hi julieanne,

My guess is that the camera is well and truly broke. Did you buy an extended warranty when you purchased it? If you have a camera dealer in your area I would take it to them for a professional opinion.

Regards

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:46 PM   #3

yes, i did buy an extended warranty from Best Buy. Are they pretty good with exchanges/refunds/whatever they'll do?

Ack! I do appreciate your help and suggestions.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:48 AM   #4

The camera won't turn off if the lens is stuck.It probablylanded on the lens and the gear mechinismhas jumped out jamming the lens.Try pulling the lens out gently and see what happens. I think if you force the lense back in, you wil do some more damage. I'm no expert on this but I would start with getting the lens moving properly; but do it as carefully as you can. It is possible that the camera does a self test when it powers up and resets the electronics. If you can free the lens it might retract and the camera may switch off properlyand reset itself when it powers up again.

Good luck:!:
cobra962UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:55 PM   #5

Sorry about your camera.Hope you canfree the lens barrel and get it working. I had an ageingworks olympus camerawhich suffered a similar fate anddespite careful disassembly to attempt a fix,I ended up with a pile of bits. The camera was however beyond redemption as the gearing mechanism had been irreparably damaged.

How they put all those electronics and precision bits inside is just fantastic engineering for the money.I worked for Kodak many years ago and could assemble the old simpleInstamatics, if anyone remembers them, without problem. How things have moved on.

I know this is not much help after the event butI reckon it's a good idea to purchase the metal adapter for this camera. As it fits over the lens fully, it provides good protection against impact on the front end of the delicate extending lens. Additionally fitting a UV filter will protect the lens itself and combined provides a good seal against dust etc.I think this is a really worthwhile investment at £13.00 UK price.

Vaughan
maydencroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:22 AM   #6

thank you all so very much for replying!

I know for sure it's not the battery, and I know that the camera is not completely screwed up or it wouldn't turn on, right? Or wrong?

I tried to pull the lens out like some of you had suggested.... it did pull out, and it will let me push it in as well, it just won't work on it's own. Does this mean it's ruined? Would it be best for me to just buy a new one or see if I can get this one fixed? Ack! I could kick myself in the arse for having dropped it.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions, responses and advice!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7

Is the motor working? Can you hear it at all? If not, that may be one of the faults. I think that the fact that the lens is freemay bea good sign, however I think that if you forceittoo far,the auto focusing won't work properly anymore.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:20 PM   #8

>>>>>Is the motor working? Can you hear it at all? If not, that may be one of the faults. I think that the fact that the lens is free may be a good sign, however I think that if you force it too far, the auto focusing won't work properly anymore.<<<<<<<

when I turn the camera on, I can't hear the motor running at all. I'm going to take it to Best Buy this weekend with the warranty papers to see what they can do.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:24 AM   #9

Interesting. The motor not working could be the cause. You might have a broken wire or a connector that has come out. I think your options are
  1. Get a warranty repair.[/*]
  2. Get a quote for repair. I don't think that soldering the wire back or pusing a connector back in is going to cost much.[/*]
  3. Take the outer screws off and open it up and have a look inside. Providing you don't try and dismantle the internal parts of the camera, you should get it back together.[/*]
  4. List the thing and sell it on ebay as faulty and get some of your money back.
[/*]
Keep us posted on your progress.

Rik