Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:10 AM   #1

Hi all , I do have a question and that is, does anyone know of a company that makes eye cups for the 7590 For better daylight viewing through the view finder and Im not sure of the proper name but eyecup seems to be stuck in my head for some reason, or any ideas on how to make one, Ive missed a couple of good shots because of not having the proper view through the VF...the shot I missed was that of a bald eagle attacking a $ 7,000 Rc airplane with a 10 foot wingspan and the baldy was not that much smaller, this was the million dollar shot so to speak and any help would be greatly appreciated so as not to miss this kind of action again as they are known to do this at the Rc club in my town....Many thanks
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:30 PM   #2

I've asked the same question myself, and recieved several answers. Until I can get my own camera off layaway I can't answer from my own experience, but I'll give you the same ones I got. They are as follows: The 7590 has an electronic view finder therefore sun light doesn't affect it the way the old optical view finders were affected. You should be able to use it effectively even bright sunlight. Next there are a lot of rubber eye cups on the market and web but you would have to adapt one for another brand to fit your 7590. That would probably mean trying different ones on the camera in a camera shop. Don't know if that is possible. So when I get mine out, I'll try the first, and if that is not satisfactory I'll probably find one close to what I want then adapt it to fit. Then this is the one I really liked. Why would anyone want an eye cup? Just use the LCD!! Well,I want an eye cup for my own reasons.They are not their reasons they're mine that's why. After that answer about the LCD I wanted to pout awhile. Then I thought, they in their own way were just trying to help. So I got over it.

Hope that was helpful.

Da Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

Wagaboo and Bigdawg,,,,,no,,,,,,lol...none available...i`m thinking of cutting a groove in the side of the EVF with a dremel tool TO MAKE ONE FIT THOUGH !!!!!!!!!

This is the one real thing that bugs me on these cameras,,,and kodak,,as well as all other manufacturers need to smarten up.....

bigdawg you are slightly inncorrect (no offence meant by the way),,that the EVF is not affected..in bright sunlight you can`t see a thing on occasions through the EVF,and if you wear eyeglasses then you are in bigger trouble there too,,and the LCD,,well forget it,,it`s useless in sunlight.

This is not to say you`ll have this problem constantly,,,but i`ve run into this after 14,000 shots so much it would scare you really.....you can get a shade that velcros onto the LCD screen,,,,but they look like junk to me so i`ve never tried them....i usually have to cuff my free hand over the EVF to see at all....

bigdawg if it ever becomes sunny and bright again,,,maybe in a few months,,,and you get the camera you`ll see what i mean here....i think an eyecup off my old Praktica slr would fit with a groove cut arround the EVF,,,might just have to try that....

SOMEONE OUT THERE NEEDS TO MARKET A PUSH-ON EYE-CUP for this camera.......

And like i said bigdawg the LCD is even worse,,,,this all depends of course where the sun is when you are shooting,,if it shines anywhere near the LCD it`s like putting a bag over your head and shooting blind..........lol

Brian

P.S. sorry,,,litlle touchy on the eye-cup thing,,,and even more so on the lack of remote control.....

OH,,and bigdawg who told you to use the LCD instead of the EVF anyway???????????,,,because he/she obviously never used this camera in bright sunlight,,,maybe he/she lives underground or something,,,lol
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:24 PM   #4

No offense taken, Brianhare. These are not my opinions but the advice given on different forums and by aquaintances.
Don't mean to be giving bad advice at all. The guist of what I was saying is that there are no avaible eye cups for this camera and there needs to be one. The advice given to me was in my estimation fruitless and at times ludicrus. But until I get that camera I can't judge for myself and must reley on advice given by I hope well meaning people on the different forums and friends and aquaintences. But being old leads me to politely and I hope diplomaticly take some advice with a grain of salt. As usual Brianhare I take your advice to heart, with No Salt.

Da Dawg listens

Oh yeah, FYI It was a sales person at a Wolf Camera store that told me that Gem. After reading totally different views in reviews and forums it was hard not to laugh. Somehow I didn't.

Dawg needs a medal
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:32 PM   #5

Brianhare, a few days ago my daughter told me that she was having a hard time keeping clothes on my twin grand daughters. So I jokingly told her to try stapling them on.
Think that might work on the eye cup??

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies guys and yup its next to impossible to look through the vf in bright sunlight depending on the angle of the pic needed. This is my only beef on this camera other than that what can I say....I LOVE IT I will see what I can come up with and if I have any luck I will surely post it here. I was actually thinking of using Electrical heat shrink and attaching via a rubber band around the VF and rolling back the eye cup a couple of times to smooth it into something usable...hmmmm will it work ?:?:
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:50 PM   #7

Hi wagaboo

I'm not sure exactly what electrical heat shrink is, but if you can come up with a usable eyecup you will make alot of 6490/7590 users happy...give it a try.

I agree with you Brian, about theremote control, it would be great to have one.

Regards

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:17 PM   #8

Electrical heat shrink is a tube like thing that is used around electrical wiring then heated to shrink around the wires.Made of a rubber like substance can be found at any Canadian Tire or home depot or other hardware stores..Usually comes in like 1 foot etc rolls @ about 3 dollars....Its gonna be crude what I put together but I know folks will get the idea :idea:
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:36 PM   #9

I still think staples will work.

Dawg
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:51 AM   #10

Iwas thinking last night a nail-gun,,,and heat shrink tubing to be sure it stays in place,,,,,,,

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote