Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:24 PM   #11

Next upgrade?......... Designing a two stage shutter release cable for use in AF mode.

mksmith713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:18 AM   #12

Very nice job, Bob!! Cheap, simple, effective! Thanks for sharing it !

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:18 AM   #13

As I said I'm full of questions. Do you know the angle of the cable release end. I gave mine to my daughter years ago and haven't purchased one for my new ( soon I hope ) camera. this will aid me in finishing my own (I now see ) over engineered braket. If I know the bevel angle I should be able to use a tapered reamer to achieve a good fit for the end. any help is appreciated.
And again I like your bracket a lot. My dad always said
KISS and sometimes I get carried away and forget to keep it simple stupid. Your desighn is far more useful for the large majority of readers in this forum, than mine will be. And I take my hat off and bow to you. Very good work.

Dawg always can learn.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:53 AM   #14

Thanks to all for your nice comments.

I think that the reason that this accessory has been ignored bythe big boysis because of the AF feature on these digi cams. If you are going to use it for pics such as studio or wildlife, then you can probably be reasonably sure that you can get some usable pics because you can try some sample pics before the event. Just make sure to squeeze the release slowly as i did notice slight vibration if you just punched it. also hold the plunger down for a second after you hear the shutter release.

I think a good tripod would be better than the cheapie one that i have, also i put a shim between the plate that attachesthe cam to the tripod and the bottom of my external flash bracket and that helped with vibration.

I'll say one thing for certain about this hobby of ours, it's a wonderful way to experiment and keep your wallet slim and trim at the same time LOL.

Bigdawg, I think that the angle on the end of the cable release is about 2 degrees, but i wonder how much difference there is between manufacturers.

Anyway fellas, get your handtools out, go to work and thumb your noses at the accessory makers.

Again thanks to all for looking and commenting.

Regards

Bob M

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:15 PM   #15

Hi all,

the sun came out finally so i set my camera and tripod up on the deck and tried out the shutter release bracket.

My cable is 40 inches long and i am able to feel the travel of the shutter button back thru the cable. Getting the feel for the halfway point and pausing till the cam auto focuses should just be a matter of a little practice. The test pics I took were in focus. I've got a 20 foot air bulb operated cable on order and that might be another problem, i'll keep you posted on it.

Regards

Bob M
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:38 PM   #16

Thanks for that info. Bob. I've got some .250 collars on hand but I think I'll wait till I get my release cable back from my daughter just to be sure of the angle on it. Many thanks again.

Humble Dawg
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:23 PM   #17

Hi Bob...I don't have and never had a release cable,but I sure will soon.Regarding the autofocus, would it be possible to mark the plunger cable to show halway point for AF? Or is there too much play or deflection for that?

Aside to BigDawg.....Please don't give up on yours, guy...I'm still liking it.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:51 PM   #18

I promise not to Dan in fact I'm making a duplicate for my grandaughter's HP camera right now. In the near future I plan on making one like Bob's though, it is a neat design. I like options when making a decision on which to use.

Dawg
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:10 PM   #19

dan279,

yeah, you could probably mark your cable for halfway point, but i can definately feel the halfway point when i use the cable. i don't know how the new cable will work though, i'll keep you guys posted.

Regards

Bob M
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:44 AM   #20

Hey Bob I've been asked in another forum If you'd be willing to post the pictures of your braket on their forum? In case you're interested the URL is:

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f...t=354&mforum=1

Da Dawg

If you're not in the mood I'd be willing to do it for you, with all credit for you of course. They seem very interested.