Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:31 PM   #1

Hi all,

Here is a Bracket that i made for my 7590. As I told Bigdawg in a earlier post it is really down and dirty. It took about 20 minutes to make and a trip to my local hardware.I didn't takepics of the entire process as I was at work(supposedly working haha) but I think the pics will give you the idea.

I started with a piece of Stainless steel 14 gauge(.075) thick by .750 wide by 8.850 inches long.

I scribed a line 1.25 inches in from 1 end and 1.00 from the other endacross the .75 width. I then scribed a centerline down the 8.85 length. I center punched where the lines crossed and drilled a .25 hole on the line that was 1.00 in and a .375 hole on the other end. I then scribed a line 3.25 inches in from the end with the .25 hole and a line 1.50 inches in on the end with the .375 hole, both of these lines were across the .75 width. On a sheetmetal brakeI then broke the piece of steel up on a 90 degree angle on both lines as shown in the attached pic
Attached Images

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:44 PM   #2

After I broke the 90 degree angles, I rounded the sharp corners on a bench grinder and used the wire wheel to give it a bit of a polish.

At the hardware i bought a .375 I.D. shaft collar, that is the round collar sitting on the top of the bracket. the collar has a set screw in it that will allow you to attach the end of your release cable. My release cable has a collar on it that is slightly bigger than .25 diameter, that is why i bought a .375 collar. Yours may vary. I bought some 5 minute epoxy and glued the collar on the bracket as you see in the attached pic. Make sure you center the collar over the hole and allow the epoxy to dry for 24 hours. use something to roughen the bracket and collar where they glue together to give the glue a rough surface area.

Now for the little blue tube that you see in the pic. the .375 collar was a little to big for the end of my cable so I needed a shim to keep it centered in the collar...Yep you guessed it, it is the cap off of a Bic pen(LOL, I told you it was down and dirty).

Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:54 PM   #3

Final pic, here it is on the camera. I only plan on using it when I have my external flash bracket attached and the cam is on the tripod. Incidentally, the overall heighth of my bracket is 4.10 inches. If you wish to, you can play with the dimensions to vary your overall heighth.

I noticed that a gentle push on the release and holding down the plunger for a couple of seconds after the shutter closes gives the best results.

also the bracket has enough give in it so that you can center the plunger directly over the shutter button. My cable is 40 inches long, but I have a 20 foot air bulb release coming thru the mail, so I may have to modify a bit.

Well, there it is for what it's worth. go ahead, make one and enjoy.

Now, all I have to do is learn to take pics and I will be all set

Regards

Bob M
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4

I like it!! You may call it down and dirty I call it simple and elegant. Very good work.

Dawg howls in envy.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:04 PM   #5

Thanks Bigdawg, I appreciate the comments.

To answer your question about deflection, a small amount, but if you push the plunger slowly and hold it down for a second after you hear the shutter it pretty much cures the problem or seems to. I got so busy with work this week that I haven't played with it much. This darn thing called work really interferes with pic taking you know it? :sad:

As far as the shutter halfway down to focus, my 7590 has a feature called continuous focus so i'm hoping that will solve the problem. Supposedly the cam will focus without bothering with the halfway point. it also has single focus so that you have to hold the shutter halfway down to focus and the pics i've taken to try out the bracket have been taken in this mode. I just paused for a couple of seconds and then took the pic. Hopefully in the next week the weather will improve and i will have time to experiment. I will let you know how it is going. But I want you to know i'm really green at real pic taking so take it with a grain of salt

Regards

Bob M
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:05 PM   #6

You should make a couple of these and sell them on eBay. I guarantee you'll triple you money and make alot of Kodak DX6490 and 7590 users very happy.

Even though I probably wouldn't use it much myself, as I do most of my shooting outside and on the move, I think I'll make one myself.

Don't have a sheet metal brake but I'll figure out something.

Great idea....very resourceful..........
mksmith713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:09 PM   #7

Oh, almost forgot...

Where did you find the collar with set screw?

I don't imagine they're readily available at Home Depot or Lowes...or are they?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:13 PM   #8

Hi mksmith713

Thanks for the nice comments.

A sheetmetal brake isn't necessary, a pair of vise grips and a bench vise will work on a simple break like this. I used stainless steel because it has a little stiffer temper than mild steel but if you use a little thicker mild steel you should be ok.

I made this because i want to set up bird feeders this year and try to capture some good photos, and studio shots of my grandkids too.

Regards

Bob M
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:17 PM   #9

mksmith713

If you have an ACE hardware near you or a farm supply store you should be able to find the collar. they are called shaft collars and are sized by the I.D. of the hole. I bet Home Depot has them.

Bob M
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:22 PM   #10

Thanks for the info Bob.

I'll get a shutter release cable first, then go from there.

Now I have to look for an external flash unit.

Took a bunch of photo's today (first time using my 6490) and either my daughter is possessed :evilr the flash isn't very friendly.

I prefer to think it's the flash......though she is her mothers daughter.....LOL