Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:16 PM   #1

Just got a DX7630 and would like the optically sharpest possible files, given there's no RAW or TIFF option.

Anyone have sage advice? I'm already at 6.1 Mp, fine compression. I'll be using a tripod whenever possible.

I haven't begun to master autofocus on this yet -- anything I should know about there?

Thanks,

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:27 PM   #2

Well,,,if you are taking scenic shots make sure you set the DC to landscape mode,,and if taking closeups/macros use the macro setting......

Make sure you do not overexpose the scene,,,that`ll lose a lot of information as well as under-exposing too.....

The less sky and grass you get in the shot the better,,,kodak compresses this the most...anything with low detail gets compressed a lot..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:50 AM   #3

brianhare wrote:
Quote:

The less sky and grass you get in the shot the better,,,kodak compresses this the most...anything with low detail gets compressed a lot..

Brian
Thanks,Brian,for the pointer. It's probably wishing too much that Kodak would improve the firmware to reduce compression or even allow a RAW/TIFF option...

Anyone know the mechanism of autofocus on the 7630? Is it TTL?

Dave
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:17 AM   #4

DGehman wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know the mechanism of autofocus on the 7630? Is it TTL?

Nemmine... case of STFW (surf the freaking Website)... Kodak has a page on its autofocus and the AF is both external and internal.

The external autofocus sensor on mine was mungey. Cleaning it seems to have resulted in much better focus, though the TTL ("superfine") focus should have been enough.

Dave

P.S. - Saw the detail that the external AF is black & white... probably also the internal (faster, less overhead)... then discovered that under Menu, when I select black & white mode, the LCD screen is B&W.

This will help a lot for critical focus, as I can select a feature in the scene that has strong contrast in B&W -- strong contrast in colors may have very little contrast in B&W. Not a technique for shooting auto races in full color, obviously...