Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:38 PM   #11

Thanks to all who answered this question.

finally resorted to opening the owners manual and there on page 66 it says that after 1 minute the dc will blank the evf/lcd, after 8 minutes it goes into auto power off. but, by pressing any button or removing or inserting the card itwill start it back up. After 8 minutes i can press every button but the power switch and nothing. No luck with the card either.

Looks like a trip to kodak. I had to exchange my first 7590 as the pc connection was loose and there was excess noise in the barrel when it extended.

I had planned to use this dc on a tripod with the release bracket i made for wildlife pics...can't see the wildlife hanging around while i waltz up and hit the switch.

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:10 PM   #12

Bob I just tested mine after it shut off( yep 8 mins.)and the only button that works after that IS the power button. I'm gonna talk to Kodak tomorrow ( spelling?)and see what they have to say.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:16 PM   #13

Yeah won`t work well in that case Bob.....i`m awaiting the Canon SI IS ,,,,,which my parents have in Florida,,,it has a remote control option(the main reason for getting it),,you can zoom and trip the shutter by remote,,,but,,,the sensor placement is probably on the front of the camera,,,so i`ll have to probably put a small mirror like dentists use duct taped to the front to bounce the signal ,,,lol,,,,i believe it`s infared,,,,i too take a lot of up close and personal wildlife shots.....someday,,,,,hopefully soon,,,,a camera maker will put a remote sensor on the front+back of a decent 10x or better camera for me......until then i`ll mickey mouse up something.....

As for a remote release for my 6490,,,i was talking to Paul about this a few times,,,,and might someday when i`m not so lazy make one up,,,,,,i have plans for an electronic one,,with 2 micro solenoids,,,the first would set the aperature/shutter speed (1/2 press),,,the other would follow through to take the shot,,it would be mounted to the bottom of the DC in a box that screws into the tripod hole,,,and relay rods would go up the camera side in a semi-circular housing,,,when the rods end at the top they would contact a lever with a mid point pivot,,stacking these would allow one to 1/2 press the button,,,the other would justpress the first down farther....

The remote control part could basically be taken from a remote control car starter module,,,which i have plenty of......i would have to make a new smaller board but the high current relays on the older board could be removed as the solenoids are low current,,,and the car starter remotes have at least 2 buttons,,,so one for set,,,the other for release of the shutter.....don`t think the box at the camera bottom would need to be very large either,,,,,depending on the power source i use,,,,they do have AAA batteries out now.....

Oh,,,,well,,,it`s something i`ve been thinking about,,,to much maybe eh.......

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:43 PM   #14

Brian

I have a 6490 too, so i can use that as my tripod cam. i was planning on selling my 6490 to a friend but thankfully i never committed so i will keep it. Had i known about the power down on the 7590 i most likely would not have bought it, although it has alot of nice features.

Man, you lost me on the electronics talk LOL, i really never have messed withmuch of that stuff. Go for it though, if you can pull it off, more power to you. I can just see some of us showing up all together in the woods someday with our tricked out digi cams and looking like a bunch of high tech weenies LOL.I think i will concentrate on building good photography skills and see what is available in a couple of years. An RF remote would be nice.

Good luck with your new DC

Thanks for the feedback

Regards

Bob M
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:17 AM   #15

I'd been sort of wistful thinking I was maybe getting a second rate camera with the 6490. You know, the $150 extra wouldn't be too bad , or too much for my wife's temper.
Now I feel all golden and giddy inside knowing I may have made a decent choice after all. Besides bells are for cows and, this is one Dawg that never cared much for whistles. The more I hang around this forum the more I appreciate that decision.

Dawg don't hear no bells or whistles

[img][/img]

P.S. Sorry about the camera Bob. And I mean it. dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:18 AM   #16

dawg,,i can guarrantee you will not think you bought the lesser camera,,,both aregreat cameras,,,each has it`s faults....all do though,,,,,you will get some nice shots with the 6490 i assure you,,,

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:18 PM   #17

I keep humming that Carly Simon song Anticipation over and over in, Well anticipation of finally getting that 6490 in my sweaty little paws. You guys and the penguins in my head are the only things keeping me sane right now. I WANT MY CAMERA!!!! Alright guys.-- I'll calm down.-- Sorry the penguins were gettin worried they might have to move. Anyway I keep holding my wife to fault for preventing me from possesing the 6490, and I know that's wrong. I gave her the responsibilty of paying the bills many many moons ago and really haven't found reasons to regret that choice. She is the real reason I can afford to indulge in photography anyway. All I can hope for is that soon, soon, I can send some pictures to you guy's for your approval or disapproval just so you will know that I really do know something about this passion of ours.

The Waiting Dawg

P.S. Many thanks to Brian, Bob, Dan, Wagaboo, Scottie and all the others for your patience, Kindness and comradship.It has kept this old War Dawg going through the lonley CAMERA-LESS Days.

P.P.S. Just thought you'd like to see the wife.

[img][/img]
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:58 PM   #18

Your too funny Dawg!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for the sympathy on the DC. My problem is is that i showed up at the local Best Buy when they were running a good deal on cams, I had a little extra money and too few active brain cells and feeling blue about life in general. Why not treat myself to a new camera that i certainly didn't need, I said to myself...well h--- yes i fired right back and voila, newest addition to the family. Unlike you though dawg, I wisely chose not to tell my better half. ( it is a pain in the butt though to remember to only have one in sight at a time LOL).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Seriously though, don't fret about that 6490, take it from a dumb--s, you won't regret it, it is a superb piece of workmanship.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"regards

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Bob M
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:32 AM   #19

With that unhinged stare and temper to match I wouldn't dare NOT tell her. One day I'll have to tell you about coming home late and finding myself looking down the wrong end of a .444 Marlin lever action rifle. Can you guess who was holding it? With the hammer back? And I'd only been gone for two days.

Gun shy Dawg

Like Pappy told me: Don't teach your wife how to shoot. She may use you for target practice. And knowing you she probably will one day.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:54 PM   #20

Just so you didnt think I forgot...Still waitin for Kodak to get back to me

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote