Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:18 PM   #1

I'm going to Wrigley Field for a baseball game in May and was interested in purchasing the wide-angle lens for my DX7630.

Before I purchase this, I'd like to know if anyone else has purchased this, or any other add-on lenses. Do they make a difference? Have you seen good results?
jthompson955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:17 AM   #2

Kodak told me that external macro lenses are incompatable with the dx7630, so I went to a third party and purchased a set of Close Up lenses. Hopefully they'll get here soon.

I don't know anyone who has add-on lenses for their DX7630, but I've heard good things about them.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3

I just purchased a tlephoto lens for this camera and UG!! It may be ok for outside shots with good lighting if i can figure out how to get them focussed BUT for inside shot s that need the flas its a big NO GO the lens interferes with the flash and pics are dark.

Kikididi-RN
KikididiRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:14 AM   #4

From what I hear this is common on these cameras . But a remote flash will help tremendously. It usually will also extend the flash range too.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:31 PM   #5

I purchased the DX7630 because it was compatible with the Kodak lenses that I had purchased for my last Kodak camera (which I lost). I bought the adapter yesterday ($19.99 at FRY's or http://www.outpost.com) and started to play with my new toys. After attaching the adapter, then attaching the telephoto lens, I turned on the camera. Then the built in lens went through it's "boot up" stage, bumped into the telephoto lense and then retracted, shutting down the camera! Tried it with the wide angel lens, same thing. What could I possibly be doing wrong? Kodaks website has no digital camera lens support or FAQ's. I decided to turn the camera on and then attach the extra lens(') and it seems that it will work, if I don't screw them in all the way! I would guess that if the adapter was made to adapt these lens' then they would have added the extra 1cm to make it so that the built in lens wouldn't come in contact with the add on lens.

Any clues? :|
BigEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:22 PM   #6

BigEye wrote:
Quote:
I purchased the DX7630 because it was compatible with the Kodak lenses that I had purchased for my last Kodak camera (which I lost). I bought the adapter yesterday ($19.99 at FRY's or http://www.outpost.com) and started to play with my new toys. After attaching the adapter, then attaching the telephoto lens, I turned on the camera. Then the built in lens went through it's "boot up" stage, bumped into the telephoto lense and then retracted, shutting down the camera! Tried it with the wide angel lens, same thing. What could I possibly be doing wrong? Kodaks website has no digital camera lens support or FAQ's. I decided to turn the camera on and then attach the extra lens(') and it seems that it will work, if I don't screw them in all the way! I would guess that if the adapter was made to adapt these lens' then they would have added the extra 1cm to make it so that the built in lens wouldn't come in contact with the add on lens.

Any clues? :|

I used the Kodak adapter and retinar 2x lens with my 7630 and never had any issues with it. I even shut the camera off and turned it back on with the lens in place and had not issues. Interesting...

Also, be sure to go into the menu and change the AF to Accessory Lens AF. On this setting the camera will only focus through the lens rather so that the lens doesn't mess up the regular AF.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:41 PM   #7

Just tried it again to make sure that I wasn't nutz. It appears that the adapter, when screwed into the camera, is just too short. The Schneider-Kreuznach lense stops at around where the threads are on the end of the adapter. I'm going to give our friends at Kodak a call, cause I don't know what else to do.

:?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:41 PM   #8

I have the same camera and just bought a wide angle lense and a telephoto lense. I have the same problem. If you find an anser please let me know. Thanks
isgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:18 AM   #9

Is this happening with both the telephoto and the wide angle adapter?

If so, something's probably gone wrong with the manufacturing tolerances of the adapter. (That would be my first assumption, since this piece is the lowest cost).

The other two suspect areas: the prime lens on both your 7630s extends a little further on startup than it should; or the metalcutting on the lens(es) is off... either the glass is too close to the back of the conversion lens, or the len's barrel is cut wrong.

Whatever the issue, it's not your fault, obviously. It's also not across-the-board (I don't have a telephoto, but the Retinar wide angle + adapter tube combination works on my DX7630.)

The following is a kludge, and it occurs to me only because most of my life is one kludge after another... If the problem is the thread and shoulder ofthe adapter tube where it mates with the camera, you could cut a paper gasket or washer to go between the adapter tube and the mounting area on the 7630.

Something heavy like business card paper probably would do it. It might take two or more layers of paper (which eventually may compress, calling for the addition of yet another paper layer).

If the problem is over-extension of the prime lens on start-up, the gasket idea probably won't work. Also, I don't know what effect, if any, adding a gasket would have on the focusing ability of the lenses.

But the bottom line is that you shouldn't have to adapt your own adapters. It sounds like the working tolerances of the 3 elements (camera/prime lens, adapter tube & conversion lens) are too close. This (faulty) design is such that you either have to be lucky (as I was) or you would have to mix-and-match them, in person, at a brick-and-mortar store to get a combination that works.

It's been a long time since I've had to work in this mode... in fact, since 1982, when I rebuilt the CVCC engine on my 1978 Honda Civic, where you have to hand-fit each main and rod bearing...

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:58 AM   #10

It happens with all of the attachable lenses, Wide Angle, Telephoto and the two close up lenses. I needed to take a close up pic this weekend and grabbed the camera. Tried it again, same thing. So I turned the camera on, and then attached the adapter with the close up lenses. It doesn't screw in all the way, but still seemed to take decent pictures. Maybe I'll return the adapter and try antother. Kodak was kind of useless as they tried their camera with their adapter and their lens and had no problem. They just said "I don't know what to tell you". Thanks Kodak.

But really, Thanks Dave, for giving me a reply with some good ideas. I may just do the ole paper gasket a try. BigEye Bri