Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:03 PM   #1

Hi guys, i'm from spain and i have been lookingto buy a new camera around 6 mpx because my hp 935 has died after taking almost 15.000 photos. ... i'm very unhappy about it but it's time to get another camera.

I've been looking for cameras that uses SD memory cards and lithium pack batteries and i have fixed my find in the Kodak DX7630. Where I live in Valencia (Spain) it's possible to adquire this camera around 275 euros (more or less 300 US$). I've been reading opinions (150 or more) and a lot of reviews (here at steve's digicams, in other webs like megapixel.net, dcpreview, etc) I like this camera a lot, it's quite impressive that has a lot of manual adjustments, the most people say that hasa long lifetime battery that supports lots of shots, i've seen lots of photos takes with it and they are so good...

I have been doing comparision between Olimpus C60, Canon S50 (the S70 is 7 mpx, not 6 mpx like the Kodak) and Casio Qr2 (i think it's this camera, maybe this is a wrong name :S ) and i like the quality image from the Kodak, only that the photos look like a bit magenta, but this is possible due to the ambientsin the photo is take and is possibleto correct with Photoshop, it doesn't matter at all.

The last and most important question for me it's the following. I've read in an opinion (only one man has said that between more than 150 opinions) that anegative thing in this camera is that it doesn't showa battery metter indicator, so u can't know how much time or shots u can already take. I'm very interested in beeing sure about it, because i've read in a different place that the camera really show it but you must press flash button continously (or maybe a combination of buttons) to display in the LCD theremaing battery to shot.

I think it's a very needly thing and I can't buy a camera without this option, because i met people with any Canon cameras without battery metter and it's very annoying the moment u want to take an interesting photo and in this moment appears in the LCD -- LOW BATTERY, THE CAMERA IS CLOSING --

I want to be sure about it, so could anyone explain this feature about this camera, it's really that there isn't a battery life metter??

Thank u guys, i need to buy the camera in less than 5 days so i want to decide the fast I can. Bye, any advice about this and a different camera will be kindly admitted!!
Massimo_ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:57 PM   #2

Well that`s the first time i`ve heard of someone saying hey won`t buy a camera just because of a lack of a good battery indicator.............

The 7630 is a great camera,,,all you need to do is buy a spare battery to prevent this ever happening....most cameras out there either do not have a battery indicator or it`s not accurate anyway,,,the kodak lithium ion batteries are very long lasting,,i can get about 300-400 shots with the DX6490 and still have battery power left,,,you should have no problem with the 7630 unless youi plan on taking a pile of shots at one time..if you do plan on taking a huge ammount of pictures at one time,,,then just buy a spare battery to take with you...the low battery indicator will tell you in advance when to change the battery,,,and won`t just go dead without warning you...

Most recent cameras have lithium ion bateries,,,,which last a long time,,,,,some have nimh rechargeables though and depending on their rating and number of cells will only get about 60 pics at best....the 7630 with the lithium battery should go well beyond that...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

I've had my Dx7630 for about 7-8 months, and already I've noticed that my battery does not last aslong as it once did.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:31 AM   #4

Sorry linebacker 2 but i haven't understood you at all, dou want to say that the camera doesn't perform as at the first? i refer about lifetime battery ... do u notice that the battery lifetime is minor than when u bought it? in only 7-8 months the battery doesn't work correctly???

Another thing, is it possible to buy a spared new battery with more than 1700 mah (that's the original) to take more photos than with only one battery. Where should I buy these one?

At lastyou haven't answered my question guy, i want to know if really there isn't a indicator of level battery. I've read in any place that the camera shows the level when it's boot up and it re-shows again once the battery has reached only the 10% of charge, to warn you that there is low battery level.

Plz could u explain it correctly (your personal situation with this camera and the amount of photos and quality that u've reached)

Thx 4 your answers guys!. I need to continue looking that question.
Massimo_ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:51 AM   #5

Read what I said again. After 7 or 8 months of use, the battery does not last aslong. In otherwords, it's failing. Dying a slow and painful death.

I was thinking about it today though. I have used it ALOT. So, that's probably why. Anyways, time to get an adapter and a backup battery.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote