Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:14 AM   #1

Hello,I`ve had my 6490 for about 6 months now,Its mt first DC,well my first camera come to think of it.I`ve just used auto mode straight out of the box.A nights reading in these excellent forums I decided to experiment with PASM ,took a few night shots ,1 or 2 were ok,a lot of them were just too bright.I had the camera resting on a wall and the timer was used.

The settings I used for the pic are f2.8 ,4sec, iso 80 ,no flash, saturated colour.The streetlights seem to be the main cause of it.I tried a larger f stop and longer shutterspeedas recommended in a thread.It was taken last night ,the sky for the last couple of nights has had a strange glow to it,I thought I`d try to capture it.I am a complete beginner.

I have learned so much in the past few days from reading these forums.Thank you in advance for the hive of information..thank you for everyone`s input.

TommysDad

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:48 AM   #2

Welcome, I too am a Digital beginner. Having used 35mm for more years than I care to remember, I am learning all over again. I'm just happy to see someone trying to really learn the capabilities of their cameras instead of just complaining that it doesn't do everything but wash the dishes for them. I can't give you the input you need for your photo's, but will certainly be watching and listening for the answers. Just want to welcome you and say keep sending photo's and questions so we all can learn along with you.

Nuf Said DAWG
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:26 PM   #3

I'd use a higher ISO...at least 200 minimum. 400 may be better; even 800 if you don't mind the grain. The problem is your shutter needs to be open for so long at 80 iso that the bright lights bleed while you're trying to capture the rest of the image. By moving up to a faster ISO, you won't need to leave your shutter open for so long, reducing the amount of bleed.
digitalquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
1 or 2 were ok,a lot of them were just too bright.I had the camera resting on a wall and the timer was used.

TommysDad

This looks too light to me... the lights are definitely over-exposed. It looks as though the shot was taken with auto-exposure, so the camera was trying to make the scene look like mid-day brightness.

I'm not familiar with your camera, but check to see if you can control both the shutter speed and the f-stop (aperture). Then cut the amount of light, either by halving the f-stop light transmission (e.g., going from2.8 to 4, or from 4 to 5.6) or bycutting the shutter speed in half (e.g., from 1 second to 1/2 second, or 1/30 to 1/60)

Failing that, if you can control the EV level, try going to -1 or -2. You may have to make lower increments (e.g., drop EV by 0.5).

My dx7630 has a built-in bracketing button. Push it, then when you push theshutter release, the camera quickly takes 3 pix - one at an EV lower than 0, one at 0, and one at an EV higher than 0. Default is a 0.3 increment (resulting in -0.7, 0, +1.3), but the bracketing amount can be changed in setup.

Dave

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:17 PM   #5

Thanks to everyonefor the help and information.I have been out snappin away at the docks ,which is a stonesthrow away.I noted the settings,fiddled about a bit and noticed an improvement in quality straight away.The ISO set at 200 I thought worked best I took a few shots for comparison,I plan to take more shots tomorrow night from the otherside of the dock ,didn`t have time to cross the bridge

M mode-f4, 1/2, iso 200.

M mode- f4 1/2 ,iso 400

M mode f5 1/2, iso 200

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks again, TommysDad

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:00 PM   #6

Blowing out the highlights is a problem at night, but sometimes you have to for the sake of the main part of the what you see.

This was taken with a DX7440 for a bit of fun, now as you can see there was a nice bit of cloud in the sky, but aiming at a floodlit church was a 100% guarantee for blowing the highlights at 32 seconds. A simple B/W conversion hid those up.
Sometimes the rules are made to be broken, have fun with the 6490, I did when I had mine.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:00 PM   #7

Again more useful info. Thanks guys you're helping me every post, hope soon to repay the favor. Great pics both of you.

The DAWG
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:59 PM   #8

IS there any way to keep the shutter open on a 6490 for more than 16 seconds ??
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:43 PM   #9

RedDragon wrote:
Quote:
IS there any way to keep the shutter open on a 6490 for more than 16 seconds ??
Nope, that was one of the reasons for getting the 7440 and selling my old 6490, but I like to push things more than most.

A couple from my old 6490. (16 or less still works well)

Ghosts.

And traffic.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:01 PM   #10

Hi, and welcome to the forums;

Trust Cold Snail when it comes to night photography; he's the boss as far as I'm concerned. (nice ghosts, Paul) By the way, your first shot is not really over-exposed. The colours do bleed a bit, but you still have headroom for adjustment. What you might want to try with shots like this is to change your white balance in PASM mode. Auto white balance often defaults to "daylight" mode, whereas tungsten will give you a pleasing coolness to the colours.

Above all... keep on shooting.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote