Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1

I've come to Kodak from the Fuji world, moving to a DX7630, nice camera.

But the software has some down side, beginning with no way that I could find of installing it anywhere except where it wanted... and where it wanted is a partition that is out of room, since it also contains Windows 2000, forever bloating with fixes and patches.

Then ithogs 10 meg of memory and a couple of percent of CPU time, it and its always-running updater. The coupla-percent wouldn't be bad, except I've got a bunch of couple-percenters, including antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware, and the overall drag is getting noticeable. Any why ALWAYS devote 2% of my CPU when I'm transferring pictures for 5-10 minutes once a week or so?

Is there any way to treat the camera as a removable disk? This was Fuji's approach... plug the camera into the USB and Explorer blossomed with a new removable disk. Transfer was simple copy-and-paste, or drag-and-drop where I wanted. Then you simply stopped or 'ejected' the disk when you were done.

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:19 PM   #2

Dave I can't tell you positiviley since I never used Win2000(went from 98 to xp)but under Winxp you can plug in a usb cable and the camera will show up as another drive.such as drive d: or e: or in my case drive h: since i have way too drives attached. You can then open the drive and use like any other.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:57 AM   #3

It turns out to be not that simple with Win2000.

When I uninstalledEasyShare and connected the camera, Win2k popped up a new hardware dialog, and there's no driver in sight, none to download from the Kodak site.

However.... then tried reinstalling, this time using the "Custom" option, and voila! I could opt to install only the connection software (no updater, no EasyShare), and I could install this on a less-full hard disk.

Thanks. Without your pointer, I wouldn't have explored further, and would stll be stuck with the original resource problems.

Dave
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

More useful info. Questions I've been wondering about have been answered thanks dave. And I mean it sincerely.

Da Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:29 PM   #5

You might want to conder getting a card reader too. That's what I did. Transfering is a breeze. It's also less taxing on your camera. I got the ScanDisk ImageMate 12 in 1. Only took me a few seconds to transfer about 50 photos.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:18 PM   #6

Lurker wrote:
Quote:
You might want to conder getting a card reader too.
I'm planning to, as soon as the memory of camera purchase, camera bag purchase, flash slave purchase, memory card purchase, extra battery purchase, and tripod quick-release adapter purchase all fade fromthe mind of my business manager...

Her first quote at our last strategic planning session, when I mentioned the $17 buy of the bag, was "Now what? We haven't spent enough on this thing yet?"

Dave
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:37 PM   #7

LOL--- We can all probably relate to that. Mine is not even off lay away and before I get more than "you know....."
out of my mouth she says "Not NOW".

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:21 PM   #8

Interestingly, I also came from the Fuji digital world (Finepix A201) to Kodak. I have a crappy 64MB notebook running WinME (rather poorly, I might add), and the last thing it needs is more software to bog it down. I found a SanDisk SD card reader for $26 Canadian. When I plug it in, the computer knows how to deal with it without needing anything else installed. What was real neat, however, was the Fuji FinePixViewer automatically loaded up and showed the pictures, as though I had connected the old A201 camera...and I can view them, manipulate them, resize them just as easily using Fuji's software.

The reader is definitely worth it.
digitalquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:33 PM   #9

another solution is to try picassa2 - it's a free download from google. you can use the import. my dx7590 appears as a drive e and it imports the pics like smoke. picassa2 has a lot of good features into the bargain - a few quirks as well but what do you expect for nothing!

cheers

Bill
bmori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:58 PM   #10

slip of the finger it should be picasa2 !!
bmori is offline   Reply With Quote