Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:54 PM   #1

My flash pix are coming out very dark - it seems tge flash is not synchronized with the shutter - anybody else have this problem - also pix are coming out smal - in the 200-350 range - some printer sites say this will not make a good 4 x 6 pix - how can I change this?
coiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:03 PM   #2

you dint say what camera you are using Corain. Is your flash an external one or is it built into the camera itself? youare not giving us much information to work with.
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:08 PM   #3

Do you have the 55mm Kodak lens adapter for you 6490? This will block the flash and cause some darkening.

The image size depends greatly on the subject, due to the 6490's compression. If you are taking photos where there isn't a lot of different colours, the image filescan be quite small. As long as the camera is set to 4 mega pixels, the printed image should still look fine.

Mark

MarkFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:29 PM   #4

It is the DX 6490 - I took the 55 adaptor ff and get the same results - It appears to be an ISO problem - the Iso is set at 80 on Automatic when taking inside pix with flash

Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:51 PM   #5

Anything beyond 10 feet max will be dark,,the flash unit on the camera is weak,,,that`s to save batteries,,,get an external flash and you`ll get better results,,or stay well within 10 feet,,,just because the pics are dark does not mean there is a flash synch problem....

Try some shots of a subject within the 10 foot range,,in auto mode,,no red-eye,,, and no zoom..zoom will lower your flash range....

As for the file sizes,,,make sure your cam is set to best mode,,,and as said here it depends on the amount of detail captured whether your files will be large or not,,,,small file sizes do not mean you can`t print and get good results,,,i`ve printed off pics at low file sizes before at up to 8x10 with no problems...

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:20 PM   #6

ISO 80 requires a lot of light, especially if the lens is anything but wide open. Try ISO 140 or even 200 when shooting in the dark with a flash. If you're using a program mode, try the sports mode.
digitalquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:46 PM   #7

Hi coiran, welcome to the forum.

You really need an external flash to do this camera justice. It really makes a difference. My house, where i do alot of pics of my grandkids is not really well lit for pic taking. Since i got the sunpak unit my pics turn out great.

Brian is right on the file size. Your prints should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:17 PM   #8

Bob Mevis

What model sunpak did you get - the 6490 does not have a hotshoe mount - can you get an L bracket that mounts to the bottom of the camera and extends out for the flash?

Ron
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:52 PM   #9

coiran,,,here`s a pic of my set-up if it helps you any....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...k/100_2098.jpg

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:06 PM   #10

Hi Brian

Where did you purchase at? Does it come with a cord?

Ron