Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:26 PM   #1

A few years back my wife bought me a DX4900 when they first came out. I really enjoyed it. Recently it was stolen, and now I want to replace it with another Kodak. I read *so* many reviews on *so* many websites, and all I am left with is a lot of confusion. I want to stick with Kodak, since I liked my old DX4900 so much. I'm an amateur...a point-and-shoot guy who *might* like to eventually spend some time learning more about taking nicer pictures. I take a lot of nature shots, some landscapes, and also indoor shots of my pets. Can you recommend a Kodak for me? I've read about the DX7440, DX6490, DX7590, etc and as I said, I'm confused about where to go from here. I want a reliable camera that takes sharp, clear shots automatically, but *may* want to get beyond auto-focus one day and possibly experiment a bit. Thanks for any help you can provide.
sgeidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:40 PM   #2

Hi sgeidel,

Can't vouch for the 7440, but as for the 6490 or 7590, either one is an excellent choice. The 7590 has a few more bells and whistles on it. Clearer EVF, takes awesome pics and has a couple of different burst modes that can be useful. The 6490 does an excellent job though, it takes excellent pics and it has one feature that is sorely lacking on the 7590, the 6490 will go into sleep mode indefinately and can be woke up by a touch on the shutter, after 8 minutes the 7590 shuts down completely. small problem but annoying if your doing portrait or wildlife shots.

Either one will do the job.

Regards

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:31 PM   #3

I have a 6490 and highly recomrnend it.It can be found for under $300. Great pics, excellent battery life and 10x zoom.The 7590 is even better ifcan want to spend more cash. More features , 5mp, and the great 10x zoom.You cannot miss with either.They will fill your needs well as you stated them.

Terry
tsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. The "knock" that I keep reading on the 6490 that scares me off a bit is that reviewers say it has "slow shutter speed" which supposedly can cause blurry pictures in an unsteady hand. Do you have any comment about this specific complaint? Being a complete amateur, I'm sure I will have an unsteady hand...thanks for any further comments.

And...I see no one is recommending the 7440, just the 6490 or 7590...?

Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:24 AM   #5

I have a DX7440 and I would be reluctant to recommend it. The pictures it takes are OK but tend to be on the dark side. Most of the time the images are fuzzy but are OK if you sharpen them on the PC. I always geet the feeling that my DX7440 does things well but lacks"WOW" factor. It's good for a family where there are several different people who have abilities ranging from novice to amateur using it. If you are a good amateur or better then I don't tink the DX7440 will be enough for you. It is quite cheap though. I think it may get phased out soon.
cobra962UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:52 AM   #6

I use a monopod when needed to steady the camera. I find I need it when using the zoom, low light, and for closework. I used a 35mm for yearsit poses the same steady hand issues under those circumstances.

As for picture quality, check out some of the work displayed in this forum. ( I bleieve thethread that begins "I don't want to rain on your parade" has someoutstanding examples.

Terry
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:40 AM   #7

The 6490 and 7590 sound good. The other problem I hear about with these cameras is the tendency of the battery clip to fail. Any thoughts about this? Lots of folks seem to have this problem...
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:12 AM   #8

I haven't had that problem. I've never changed the battery,I keep the camera on the charging dock. I do have an extra backup battery but haven't used it.

Terry
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:21 AM   #9

As a ex-DX6490 owner, I have a DX7440 as my pocket cam now and prefer the speed of it compared to the old 6490.
Sometimes I miss the zoom of the 6490 + TCON-17, but now I use a D70 with a 300mm lens and x2 teleconverter if I can't be bothered to zoom with my feet.

It mainly sits with your decision if you want zoom, go for a 6490/7590, or if you want a fast, small pocket camera, the 7440 might just be what you are after.

One other plus with the 7440 is the shutter speed can go up to 64 seconds, whereas the 6490/7590 are limited to 16.

All the best, Paul.

Easysharers Forum
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:46 AM   #10

Would you agree with those who say the pictures taken by the 7440 tend to be somewhat dark?