Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1

For a five megapixel camera the files are very small. Many photos are 700 kb even when taken at BEST setting. I find this curious. How much compression is there? How does it affect the photos. My old 2megapixel Fuji finepix always produced the same size files no matter where the picture was taken, around 750kb. The cx7530 files vary depending on subject and surroundings but some of the files are really small. Can someone explain this to me?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks
Ben

dvmben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:37 PM   #2

dvmben, I have the cx7530 and I check the file sizes. They range between between 93 to 2,193Kb. As for the compression part,I don't l think that bad. I have cropped some pics and enlarge them. Still came out with excellent photos.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:56 PM   #3

Steve's sample photos were taken at 5Mp best quality and seem to range from 850k to 1.4 Mb. The higher the compression the larger the variation between photos, so the occasional 700k photo isn't that out of the ordinary. They are probably shots with a lot of sky or something else large without much detail in the photo. That compression is a bit high. SHQ JPG would be around 3 Mb and most cameras put out a 2 Mb or larger 5Mp file at best quality even without SHQ.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I took over one hundred pictures in my back yard. The largest was a bit over two mgs. Most were 1.4 megs. The simpler ones were smaller. Printed some up. Look good. The camera is super simple to use but I do wish it had more manual options.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The camera is decent but you know my old fuji finepix 2600 did a pretty good job too. This will be nicer for large prints.

Anyone have comments on picture quality with the cx7530

Thanks y'all again

ben
dvmben is offline   Reply With Quote