Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:09 PM   #1

Default Does your camera (DX4900 or other) ever "freeze"?

Hi,

I've had a DX 4900 for about 10 days now and I'm a bit worried. When I start taking pictures, it is not rare for it to just freeze up. By this, I mean that it becomes totally unresponsive to any commands (zoom, camera mode, ...) and can't even be shut down anymore. The only way to get out of this is the remove the batteries and put them back in.

I'd say this happens about once a shoot (if I take several photos rather than just one then place back the camera on its cradle) and it happened 3 times over an hour today when I went to take pictures of the river Thames at lunch.

At first, I thought that this was due to the Kodak batteries. I thought that the freezing up was a sign that the camera wasn't getting enough power from the crappy batteries anymore and shut itself down (although not in a very user friendly way). But is that even the way it behaves in that situation?

Since then, I got myself a charger and 1800mah batteries. Granted, they have only been through 2 or 3 charge cycles but the camera still suffers from the same symptoms with those batteries. Besides, if I remove the batteries and put them back in, I can keep taking pictures quite happily.

Is this a known issue? Something that has an easy fix? Or should I take my camera back?

Best,
Wendelius
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2002, 8:31 AM   #2

Well, I just got the following reply from Kodak:

------------------------------
Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak website and question about the KODAK EASYSHARE DX4900 Zoom Digital Camera.

We are quite concerned over your experience, and are sorry for any inconvenience or frustration this has caused you. We are going to do all we can to help.

While low power can cause the camera to freeze, I agree with you that it doesn't seem to be the reason for your problems.
Memory card issues can also cause the camera to freeze. I recommend reformatting the card after the next time you have transferred you images (reformatting will remove all information from the card). If this doesn't cure it, try a different memory card.

If you are still having difficulty , we suggest that you call our online
team for help in getting your camera repaired. They may be able to either resolve the issue directly or provide information on having the unit repaired (cost information, shipping instructions, etc). If repair is necessary, they will assign a reference code to your camera.
(...)
------------------------------

This might or might not help. I'll have to give it a try over the week-end.

Wendelius
Old Dec 13, 2002, 2:58 AM   #3

Sounds like the sort of reply you get from one of those helpline macros. Are you selecting very high resolution or uncompressed modes or shooting high res. in quick succession?

The camera will be very busy processing and writing to memory, whilst giving the impression it has frozen.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 4:02 AM   #4

Hi Voxmagna,

Quote:
Sounds like the sort of reply you get from one of those helpline macros. Are you selecting very high resolution or uncompressed modes or shooting high res. in quick succession?
I am indeed almost shooting at 4mp (the highest resolution). The DX4900 is not the strongest performer in that field and it then takes it about 10 seconds to process and write the image to the card.

I also thought this might be the case but I've noticed the camera freezing even after having been inactive for a little while (like, say 30 secs to a minute spent trying to decide which shot to get).

I don't know if I encountered the problem durting the day I was still using the 16Mb card that came with the camera. I quickly changed it for a 256Mb card that I cannibalised from my Pocket PC (no more music listening on the train but lots of great pictures to take ). So I'm at least willing to give their suggestion a try. I'm not totally convinced though.

Best,
Wendelius
Old Dec 13, 2002, 5:15 PM   #5

Oh err... be careful using cards formatted to do other things like play mp3s etc. Somewhere here I read that the card can get permanently formatted and the cams own format programme never completely over writes the original format.

I suggest you use the original card you got with the cam, try reformatting it in the cam, if the cam keeps freezing, (allowing tens of seconds for writing), then carry on complaining.

Just a thought, when you say 'freezing' you don't mean the cam has gone into sleep mode do you? the sleep timer is in the menu somewhere, check its setting. It's used to preserve battery life, personally I set mine to a couple of minutes, but don't know what settings you have. I don't belong here, so I think I'll go back to the Fuji section now.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote