Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1

Hello! this is my first post, I just got a DX6490 to start exploring digital photo, I've been studying some photo theory basics and I'm very interested in macro mode to take house aquarium fishes, can you give some tips for this particular camera?

Thank you very much, I'm glad I found this forum, I hope to make friends and learn a lot.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:30 AM   #2

Hi Flavio, Welcome to the forum. If you look around in the Kodak forum you will probably find all the tips you need to take good pics with the 6490. There is some really good information here if you go back through the old posts. In addition here are some things that I find important. The 6490 is a pretty bulky camera and needs to be handled carefully. My advice is to get a good case. One that is well padded and protects the camera well. It saves a lot of worry when you are carrying your camera around. It also means that you can take your camera practically anywhere with you and are more likely to have it with you when an oppotunity for a good shot arises. This is very important.Try to have your camera with you as much as is possible. Another thing with the 6490 is the onboard flash is very weak. To take good indoor shots especially in large rooms you will need an external flash and flash bracket to attach it to the camera. You will find plenty of tips on choosiing the right ones in this forum. You will need to practice a lot to find the right settings for your camera and flash to get the right exposures for the right situations. My advice is to read the instructions of the flash unit carefully and then experiment a lot till you are happy with the results. If possible take a few test shots first with a practice subject in the place where you will be taking your pictures then when you are happy with your setup keep those settings for the actual shots. That is the beauty of digital photography. You can take as many pictures as you like as long as you have enough storage space. That is another thing. I recommend getting at leasta 512 MB SD card. they have came down in price a lot lately so this should be in most peoples reach. If you are just using the internal memory of the camera you are really restricting yourself. Oh and another thing. Go for lots of walks. Take your time and look around you. Dont be afraid to crouch down or stand on something to get the best angle for your shot. This hobby can be lots of fun and really opens your eyes to things which you would otherwise never see. Look for inspiration in other peoples photos. There is nothing wrong with copying other peoples styles. If you see a photo that you really like try to find out how they took it. Soon you will be developing your own style and improving your technique. I hope some of this advice is of some help to you. once again welcome to the forums.
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3

Welcome Flavio. I agree with everything that Jak has said. I too am just learning this camera and have found this forum very informative. When you get a chance post some photo's with any question you might have, and ask for opinions. I've not had a bad response yet. There is always someone that will take the time to try and help. As far as Macro goes I am just learning as you are but someone out there will try to help you I'm sure. Here is my own feeble attempt.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4

I used natural sunlight to take these which you may have to do to take aquarium photo's as the flash will probably reflect too much off the glass. If you set the camera in macro mode then depress the shutter release half way and move closer until you get a green light you'll get a decent photo.
Hope this is helpful.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:16 AM   #5

and another
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6

They look real good Dawg.my way is to get as close as possible, try to focus,and just keep backin off a little at a time till it green lights.But my boss says I do a lot of things assbackwards.Everybodys got their own way of doin things.Not wrong,just different.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:13 PM   #7

As my pappy used to say six of one, half dozen of the other.
It's the end result that counts and how much fun you have gettin there.

Good morning Brother Dan

Dawg
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:57 AM   #8

JakTheHat wrote:
Quote:
The 6490 is a pretty bulky camera and needs to be handled carefully. My advice is to get a good case. One that is well padded and protects the camera well.
Thnak you very much for your comments, as for the case, I ordered one in the same shop where I got the camera it shall receive it in a week more, currently the camera was in my messenger bag "protected" with a thick wool scarf.

Quote:
Another thing with the 6490 is the onboard flash is very weak. To take good indoor shots especially in large rooms you will need an external flash and flash bracket to attach it to the camera. You will find plenty of tips on choosiing the right ones in this forum.
I understand what you say... so far I have experienced some troubles in middle size rooms, so I changed the EV and F-stop to get reasonable pictures.

Quote:
If possible take a few test shots first with a practice subject in the place where you will be taking your pictures then when you are happy with your setup keep those settings for the actual shots.
That is a good idea! it would suck to ask all the people... hey do that again because I have to adjust the camera settings :G

Quote:
That is another thing. I recommend getting at least a 512 MB SD card. they have came down in price a lot lately so this should be in most peoples reach.
Already got one! :lol: the first days I was using a MMC 32MB card from an old MP3 player, not enough space to play and very slow to record videos!

Quote:
I hope some of this advice is of some help to you. once again welcome to the forums.
Thank you very much for the warm welcome and your time to answer my post.

Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:11 AM   #9

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I used natural sunlight to take these which you may have to do to take aquarium photo's as the flash will probably reflect too much off the glass.
I made some tests but I haven't downloaded yet the photos, you're right, flash is out of the question, I'll post my 1st aquarium pictures with specific questions. Thank you.

About focusing...
Quote:
If you set the camera in macro mode then depress the shutter release half way and move closer until you get a green light you'll get a decent photo.
dan279 wrote:
Quote:
They look real good Dawg.my way is to get as close as possible, try to focus,and just keep backin off a little at a time till it green lights.
I had no idea I can change my position with the shutter pressed half way! it opens a lot of possibilities, thank you for the tips, I think both methods backwards/forward can be used depending of how close or far I'm willing to take the picture.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:19 AM   #10

Post some of the pictures soon we'll all be looking forward to them.

Dawg