Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:06 PM   #1

After spending $55 on a Raynox DCR-720 0.7x wide angle conversion lens, which works quite wll for many cameras but not the Kodak DX7630, I'm now trying the Kodak Retinar 0.6x wide angle lens.

Catalog No. 189579 - 37mm mounting threads.

No pictures worth posting yet, but test shots of my highly exciting 1960s Mass Turnpike bridge trimmedwith algae green paint, and the equally exciting side of my 1963 cookie-cutter raised ranch home shows that pictures are sharp very nearly corner to corner.

Beginning around 50 pixels from theedges ofcorners (on an image 2856 x 2142),there is a tiny bit of softening. You can just make it out when the image is reduced to full screen on a so-called 17" monitor, if you're looking for it. There is no fringing at the edges/corners

(In comparison, the Raynox + DX7630 combination goes soft beginning 180 pixels from the corner with noticeable rainbow fringing. By 80 pixels from the edge, it was very soft and very noticeable at full screen view. To be fair, the Raynoxlens did NOT do this with my old Fujifilm digital.Fuji is one of the brands highlighted on the Raynox Web site with full size example photos that do NOT have any corner softening.)

The conversion lens requires an adapter. Mounted, the lens blocks the on-camera flash, so wide angle indoors in dark settings without an external flash arrangement won't work so well. It does not block the camera's light sensor, so exposures are correct in sunlight, anyway.

In another thread of a few days ago, a DX7630 user reports a Kodak adapter that is apparently too short. The prime lens (on the camera) strikes the back of the conversion lens. This did not happen in my setup, but there sure isn't much extra room to absorb manufacturing variation.

My photos seem to avoid any added overall fringing, color problems or image issues other than barrel distortion, which is endemic to wide angle conversion lenses. If I'm translating my barrel-distortion-fixing software right, it's around 4.4%.

I'll try to get some pictures worth posting in the new few days.

Unfortunately for the world, Amazon dropped free shipping on this adapter a few hours after I ordered it. I'm hoping it's not my fault. As it is the (for me, free) "7-10 ground" shipping actually took 2 days.

So, happy camper am I.

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:43 PM   #2

I glad to read this and waiting for some shots. I sold my Kodak 2x lens, after I purchased a Panasonic FZ3 with a 12x lens, and want to replace the telephoto lens with the wide angle lens. I had not seen too much user input about the wide angle lens so I was having second thoughts about it but after seeing this I may go ahead and pick it up.

Let's see those pics
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:56 PM   #3

I bought a RaynoxDCR 720wide angle lens for my DX6490.It was only £20 in a sale,its ok I suppose.For the price I`m not complaining and it has come in handy, there is slight darkening in the corners but what do you expect for the price.I looked at the retinar 0.6x and the Olympus Wcon-07, both were out of my price range.Today I ordered an olympus Tcon-17 as a few people on this site speak highly of them, lowest price I could find in the U.K. with free delivery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002HNR6A/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/202-2944118-8525419

TommysDad

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 6:15 PM   #4

First shots - corners may be a little softer than I first thought, but not terrible.

Theseare of a 19th C. carpet mill here in Massachusetts. Under the small pic is a link to the full file (anywhere from 1.7 MB to 3.4 MB)

Full file: http://un-real-estate.com/mill/mill1.jpg

No wide angle:

(no full file)

From same vantage point, with wide angle:

full file: http://un-real-estate.com/mill/millstak.jpg

View from the dam:

Full file: http://un-real-estate.com/mill/side.jpg

Normal sort of wide angle view (but the vertical composition is lousy):

full file: http://un-real-estate.com/mill/towers.jpg

Nice healthy 2-mile walk on a cool Spring day with a Canadian sky (when Canada sends us her cold, we get gloriously clear skies in compensation).

Dave
Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:03 AM   #5

Thanks for posting the pics Dave, the retinar works well ( better than the Raynox).I`m off on a jaunt up the Lake district today, I`ll take some comparison shots with the Raynox DCR 720, It may be of help to someone who is thinking of buying a wide angle lens.

TommysDad
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:37 AM   #6

I still think the Raynox is a fine lens. What I didn't know until I bought and tried one, is that the combination of converter and prime lens makes a difference.

I also didn't think that a low-cost Kodak converter would be much good. Guess I was wrong on both counts.

When I took some photos after jury-rigging the Raynox to my old Fujifilm Finepix 1400, the Raynox worked beautifully. (Fujifilm cameras, though not the old 1400, are among those listed on the Raynox site with excellent-quality sample photos.)

Your jaunt might spur me to visit Walden Pond. It's sort of the Massachusetts Lakes District, except it's really small and there are no mountains.

Dave
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:42 AM   #7

Our was-a-river-now-a-Lake District. No decent scene at Walden Pond, but this (Sherman's Bridge) on the Sudbury River. The bridge deck is usually 10 feet above the water level and the boat ramp... Massachusetts wastes no concrete on any boat ramps... extends 20-30 feet farther than in this picture. It stopped raining 2 weeks ago...

File corrected for barrel distortion then sharpened. Big file: http://un-real-estate.com/mill/bridge.jpg

Dave

Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:04 AM   #8

Here are those Raynox comparison shots I promised .Its been raining for days here ,The lake District was a washout, so I took some of Salford Quays ,Manchester on a recent trip.It was the only time it stopped raining ...again :-).

Dx6490 at W/A

with Raynox DCR 720

They were just quick snaps, lens change, before the journey home.The vignetting isn`t too bad considering the price of the lens.

TommysDad