Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1

It's been a while since my last post. I know I haven't posted any pics yet--mainly because for the longest time I've been goofing off with mycam (DX7590)by taking pet pics. Anyway, I'm wanting to get a bit more serious. I've been trying all evening to get a perfect shot of the moon, but to no avail. Has anyone had success with this? If so, what were your aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings (again, for the DX7590)?

I will say that while experimenting tonight, that I came out with an interesting shot. Note: I said "interesting," not "good" :blah: (see below)

But if anyone has any notes, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers!
Attached Images

magmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:21 AM   #2

Here is one I took last night, a poor shot I have to say. I took it hand held and should be useing a tripod but 35 MPH winds prevented it. It's At f-8, 1/180 shutter manual mode ISO-400. The faster shutter speed and higher ISO was because of the hand held operation. Focal length was 61mm, but I was using the TCON-17 lens. It looks on your photo like you were using a starburst filter??

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3

No filters here. Actually, that was a long exposure and I guess that's what createdthe starburst effect.The aperture was set at f-8 and the ISO was set at 80, and the shutter speed was at the slowest time in manual mode (16.0", was it?). Since then, I learned that a faster shutter speed would've been more efficient. I tried 1/250-1/125 but still can't get it quite right. But as they say, practice makes perfect.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:42 PM   #4

Hi there;

The moon is a whole lot brighter than you would think - especially when it's full. A typical shot for my 6490 would be 1/500 to 1/750 sec at f3.7, ISO-100at full zoom (and a TCON-17). Anything longer and it is probably overexposed.

It takes a little experimenting, but moon shots are a lot of fun.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:55 PM   #5

Yeah! They are a lot of fun. I would've experimented some more last night, but it got pretty cold. But there's always tonight. I thank you both for your input--I very much appreciate that. I'll keep them in mind when I'm out with the cam tonight. Thanks again!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Tom. I'll have to try it out tonight.( With a tripod this time.)

Dawg
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:39 PM   #7

Good luck with the moon shot, Dawg. Your handheld is better than any of my tripod shots. I ordered a tcon lens today, so maybe with the lens and Tom's advice I'll get the shot I crave.

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:44 PM   #8

Congrats on the TCON Bob!! I've had a ball just learning how to use it. It's kinda like Tom told me one time you have to think if you really need it. Some shots are just better without it. Then again some you just can't do without it either!! By the way how did you get the wife to part with the wampum??? You aren't picking up any Sneaky Dawg habits are you?/LOL

Dawg

PS did you hear about Wagaboo's heart trouble??
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:49 PM   #9

I think that sneaky Dawg and sneaky Injun tricks might be awfully simillar, LOL.

No, i didn't hear about Wagaboo, what happened?

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:42 PM   #10

He thought he might have had another heart attack. He's having to get a lot of rest. Might not show up for a while. I think I'll private message him tonight, and get on to him for scaring his wife that way!!LOL

Dawg