Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 7590 and after reading the posts here about the external flash, I got the sunpak 383. I hooked the flash to the camera with the supplied PC sync cable that sunpak put in the box and I can't get the flash to fire from the camera.

I put new batteries in the flash and used the test button to fire the flash manually and the flash works. Iplug the pc sync cable into the camera and the connection seems loose, but does not easily come off.

Is the PC connection on the 7590 a standard one? Do I need a specialPC sync cableto get the flash to work? I know the flash sync is supposed to fire every time I hit the shutter but I am getting nothing.

Has anyone got this same setup and got it to work? Can you post a pic of you setup, maybe I'm doing something wrong here....:?

Thanks in advance for your help.....
stock_dude_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:35 PM   #2

Have you eliminated the Sunpak cable or (if there is one) the cable socket on the Sunpak as a possible problem?

There should be continuity on each pole/wire of the sync cable. In the old days, you'd check by shorting across the pin and the barrel of the PC connector and the flash would flash if there's continuity, but I have no idea what the Sunpak has for a trigger circuit.

You'd be safer checking cable continuity by using a volt/ohm/continuity meter. There also should be some voltage output from the Sunpak sync connector. If the two ends of the sync cable are the same (one end to Sunpak, other end to Kodak) , then there should be continuity from pin to pin and from barrel to barrel.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:39 PM   #3

stock_dude_99

I had the same trouble with my cameras, i have a 6490 and a 7590. i was highly ticked when i first got my sunpak 383 because it would only fire about 1 in 10 pics and then only by fiddling with the pc cord each time. look into the camera end of the pc cord and you will see a wire prong inside of the socket, using something small take and very, very, very gently bend the prong until it is offset about halfway between thecenter and the side of the socket. now plug it back in( it will be a little harder to get in now so be careful) now you should get contact all the time. mine has rarely failed to fire since i did this even swapping between cameras. tell you what, i'll post a pic showing how i position the pc socket on the camera.

in the pic look how i hook the pc socket under the lug that holds the neckstrap hook. the rubber cover over the externall flash socket kinda locks it in place, i've taken hundreds of picks this way and the flash is fine. hope this helps.

Regards

Bob M
Attached Images

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys and pic.

If I touch the center pin to the outside on the pc cable the flash fires. I bent the pin like suggested and it did work once, but not since. It seems like it's the connection to the 7590 thats causing my problem.I'll keep trying. Thanks.
stock_dude_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:24 PM   #5

stock_dude_99

sorry to hear that that didn't solve the problem. if you bought the camera recently you may be able to exchange it.The socket on the camera end of the pc cord is also adjustable, you can squeese it together with pliers.

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote