Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:31 PM   #1

Hi there! I've been using a Kodak DX4330 for about a year and a half and so far I am very happy with this camera. Not long ago this little camera broke the 10,000 picture barrier and the picture counter rolled over from 9999 to 0001. I use two different memory cards with this camera and my question is about picture numbering.

Before the counter rolled over the pictures were numbered like 100_xxxx.JPG where xxxx is the four-digit sequential number that increases with each picture and never repeats itself. After the counter rolled over, the pictures are now numbered 101_xxxx.JPG. Cool... because there is no chance that the new pictures could ever replace the old ones.

I have noticed however, that only when I use the same card that was being used when the counter rolled over, the pictures are numbered 101_xxxx.JPG and when I use the other card the pictures are like in the beginning and numbered 100_xxxx.JPG. The sequential number part is kept accross cards, however, only the prefix differs. I now rename the pictures that come out as 100_xxxx.JPG to 101_xxxx.JPG to retain consistency.

How do I make the camera use the same prefix with both cards?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 2:10 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old May 7, 2005, 3:28 PM   #3

Never cared to look to be honest......

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 9:34 PM   #4

That is a new issue to me, I suppose that there are not that many people who have their countersroll over. That might present a real problem to image sorting software if one chooses to sort by the counter number.

Perhaps calling Kodak would get an answer? The only guesses I have would be to borrow a card and see what happens or to reformat both of your cards in the camera.

Please post the answer when you find it.
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5

I tried an experiment. I placed back the 100_9999.JPG picture in the memory card and then put it back in the camera. Then I took one picture and it was named 101_0001.JPG. To make sure the sequence is not lost, I put the lastest picture I downloaded from the memory card from the last time I used the camera and repeated the procedure as before. The next picture was named 101_0702.JPG which was the expected result. Then I formatted the card in the camera to see if everything was fixed. After formatting I took another picture and it was named 100_0703.JPG. Rats!! :X

I don't want to format the other card in case it returns to the 100 prefix.