Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:33 PM   #1

This site is good for us Canucks..it participates with Borderfree.com..so all duty,taxes...etc are given to you in one cost price right to your door.No stopping at the border for Customs to check out/charge more.
So if is the the real McCoy..I think I may treat myself..:-)
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:34 PM   #2

Maybe I should include the link?
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=5824
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:52 PM   #3

Yes Kashka...that is the famous TCON. You won't regret buying it, i'll promise you that. Ever since I got mine though, it has been cloudy and rainy...oh well, them's the breaks:sad:.

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:01 PM   #4

Thanks,Bob..I just noticed they didn't have any in stock but I got my name on the email list anyways.
I know how you feel..weatherwise..the first week after I got my camera this spring it was cold/rainy/snowy.I was just itching for a nice day.Cheer up!.the sun/summer have to show up eventually..lol.
lisa
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:20 PM   #5

One thing you have to be aware off with the OLY TCON17 is that it will add CA (purple fringing),,,,,and at times quite badly,,,but most add-on tele lenses do,,,

Why,,,because they do not use low dispersion glass in the manufacture of these lense,,,,,because it is expensive to do so....that in a nut shell is why these lenses are cheap.....

Paint Shop Pro has a utility for chromatic abberation removal,,it works well ,,,most times,,,but you need to watch what else it affects when put into use,,,it will sometimes bleed colors i`ve found,,but usually does a good job....you WILL not this when you take pics of something against a brightly lit background with this lense..

Of course the up side to the tcon17 is that it very sharp for the price,,light weight also...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip,Brian..that was another thing I was wondering..if using a longer focal length would distort any of the image.And if I remember correctly.. wasn't there something (I'm trying to recall from my 35mm days) if you used a doubler then you had to compensate for less light coming in thru the lens?..Does this apply in the digital world?I hope I'm making some sense as I haven't used accessories on my pentax for many moons.
lisa
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:16 PM   #7

Yes it will affect the image,,,but in auto mode the camera will adjust for the decrease in light.....in manual mode you will find that the loss will make you increase the aperature or shutter speed slightly,,,but not a lot......all tele lenses will also compress the image so that depth of the image is different,,,but only you will likely notice it,,others will think that the scene is normal to their eye...

It`s easier to get great results with these new cameras than the old models like your pentax and my old praktica`s .... auto modes are far better programmed and more flexable to add-ons....

To get the shutter speed up to a decent clip with the 6490/7590 in shooting conditions like wildlife,,,use "P" mode and turn the ISO up to 100 or 200....that helps greatly with this lense ,,since we do not have image stabilization,we need a good fast shutter speed to counter blurr...

Then you can run the image through a noise program like pic-cooler with really decent results,,,i shoot at 400 ISO with the 6490 quite a bit,,,and that`s a stretch for this camera as anything over 200 ISO has a lot of noise,,,,,but so do all point and shoot cameras..but have found that pic cooler works well there too..

Brian
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:36 PM   #8

Great info!..I really appreciate the help there,Brian....I have been out of photography for quite awhile but this camera has stirred up the old excitement I used to have.I think I am hooked again..lol.
lisa
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:08 PM   #9

One thing is for certain,,you WILL learn more with this camera than any camera before it,,,,the reason is simple,,,you can see in a split second whether the shot is junk,,or is decent,,without waiting 2 weeks to see your results printed off,,,,and you can retake the shot immediately if it does look like crap,,,the learning curve is so much faster with a digital camera,,,,,,and the pics are free to toss also...

Brian
Old May 1, 2005, 8:47 AM   #10

Thats what I like..the time factor and lack of film.If you think you see that perfect picture..you can play around and take multiple shots..from diff angles and settings...,etc.And you don't feel limited by the film or processing expense.And..you see the results immediately.