Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 1, 2005, 9:00 PM   #1

I snapped this Heronon Sunday at Muncaster Castle, Lake District .There were 17 all feeding at once, my 6490 couldn`t process the pics fast enough, very skittish birds!!. When I go somewhere I set myself a task, yesterdays was panning.

I was sat down with my elbows resting on my knees,I found it difficult as the slightest movement with the camera (with TCON) was exaggerated heaps!!

S mode 1/500th sec

TommysDad

Attached Images

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 9:14 PM   #2

I know how hard it is to hold that combination steady hand held. So my hats off to you on a very good pan shot TD. Gonna try that myself soon as I can find the right subject!! Hope my results come half way to your's!

Dawg

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3

Nice shot TD. Yes they are very skittish birds, saw 3 at the park yesterday evening and they flew before i could get positioned. Saw my first ever Bald Eagle in Indiana at the same park and his head was hidden behind a limb and i couldn't get behind the tree because it was right by a lake...darn, i hope I see him again.

Bob

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 11:16 PM   #4

Yes a very good shot TD - something that helps me is a piece of 1 X 2 X whatever length you wantand drill a hole in the end a little larger than 1/4 " then put a 1/4 " short bolt with the head cut off in the bottom of your camera screw bolt in camera and set camera and bolt into the hole in the l X 2". It helps to steady and swivel the camera and doubles as a walking stick. (a long story short a homemade unipod)

Al
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:12 AM   #5

Thanks for that info Alandjo. How about if I use my bamboo combination flute and walking stick?? Yes I think that will work. The more you post the more we find out about you. Keeping secrets is not nice, but you're forgiven. That is an idea SLAP that was the sound of my right hand impacting my forhead. I am punishing myself for not thinking of that sooner myself. Thanks again Al for info we all can use!!!

Dawg

Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 6:13 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it makes it all worthwhile :-).

Alandjo thanks for that tip.I`ve seen a lot of walkers on my travels using a type ofski pole as a walking stick.A 1/4 bolt fixed in the handle would do the job nicely.But me with a walking stick, :Oi`ve just turned 35, there`s life in me yet.

TD.
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 8:10 AM   #7

Very nice photos,Tommysdad! I especially like the second one..the huge magnificent wings and the pretty blurred blue of the background flowers.
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:16 AM   #8

Thanks Kashka,they all needed a little work before post, a little highpass sharpening

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...arpening.shtml, I prefer this alternative to USM ,and picture cooler.I read in one of brianhare`s posts that he uses it ,I tryed it out and it works wonders.

TD.
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 10:47 AM   #9

Thanks TD for the info on highpass. I must say that you are doing great things with the TCON-17. I especialy like the last one. The color combinations are outstanding.

BigDawg
Old May 2, 2005, 1:54 PM   #10

Thanks again BigDawg,I`d only ever seen a wild Heron once before,so many at once were an attack on the senses.There were at least 100 people watching them feeding ,andthere I was slap bang in the middle of the "long lens Canon crowd" with my trusty 6490.At a little under an hours drive away i`ll be visiting again shortly.Next time I`ll get some better shots of the grounds ,they really are spectacular.

TD