Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 2, 2005, 8:22 PM   #1

In reading the TCON 17 description on B & H PhotoI noticed the front isn't threaded for a filter. Correct?

tsims
tsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

That is correct. If it were threaded, it would be around 75 mm, which would probably make it fairly expensive to start duplicating filters that you arlready have at 55 mm. Just my guess, but filters at the end of a TCON would most likely exacerbate the vignetting which is inherent with this lens to begin with. I occasionally use a 55 mm polarizer between the lens adaptor and the TCON. Even this produces some darkening in the corners, so the result is not that satisfactory. There is always a trade-off when you're adding more glass.

I hope this helps.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:58 PM   #3

your right tsims. but if you have filters that are threaded on both sides you can sandwich them between the lens adapter and the TCON....speaking of sandwiches is making me hungry, i'm a growing Injun...some might call me a large caliber injun,LOL.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Just ordered it fron B & H Photo. Also, ordered Kodak Lens adapters, and Tiffen twin pack circularpolarizing filters and UV filters for both the 6490 and 7590. My wife and I use both cameras.The screams you hear are coming from my Mastercard. Oh well it's only plastic. On the other hand, I can hardly wait

tsims
Old May 2, 2005, 9:40 PM   #5

Your gonna love the TCON tsims...well you will if the sun ever shines here in northern indiana again, LOL.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:13 PM   #6

You got tht right , Bob! A guy could freeze his Tcon off! The end of the week is supposed to be better, but I'll believe it when I see it.

tsims
Old May 2, 2005, 11:59 PM   #7

Large calibur Indian? Well I never...... Until now that is!!! lol Tsims you will love that TCON, Trust me on that. I myself get mad every time I drive into work in the early afternoon. It's so sunny and beautiful, Sigh. AND I GOT TO GO TO WORK!!!!!So even if it is ideal weather here in the south I can't get any photo time in!! Dagnabit!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 5:30 AM   #8

WORK!!! OMG that's a 4 letter word! I didn't know you could use them in here. LOL.
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:18 AM   #9

I don`t usually read instructions for anything, my dad passed it on to me ,and in time I`ll pass it on to my son :-), but it says in the TCON instructions that if you have a lens filter fitted to remove it.I have used the lens with a UV filter sandwiched in the middle with no problems.I`ve noticed some cheap filters don`t have a very deep thread (U.K. camera chain Jessops own makefor instance).If used with these the lens may not be as secureas you think...Happy TCONing

TommysDad
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:23 AM   #10

I've used mine with a polarizing filter sanwiched in between and rotated the whole lens afair to get the pic, with no problems!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote