Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 6, 2005, 6:09 AM   #11

Marinjo wrote:
Quote:
But once again about true colour representation- why could my previous camera Medion MD9653 produce 100% true to original colours.
Though I don't know for sure, I'm guessing it's a combination of sensor, lens andin-camera color processing (Kodak calls the last,"Kodak Color Science." You can search both theKodak site specifically and the Web in general for some good background on Kodak's approach both to sensor technology and color balance).

Kodak serves two photographic masters - snapshooters and professionals. Snapshooters like warmed-up people, just as movie-goers love extra-color color (Technicolor for example was developed to boost color, not record it scientifically).

My very first camera, a rebadged one from the Taiwanese maker Minton, had excellent color reproduction. I'm guessing (but don't know for sure) that the first question digital camera makers ask in design is whether to enhance color or leave it alone. It sounds like Medion decided to leave it alone, where Kodak, following in the tradition of Kodacolor and Ektachrome, chose to punch it up a bit.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 9:39 AM   #12

Bit of a follow-up.

Is it possible that you've set your color level at "High"?

Using a Kodak Q-60 target for photo paper (reflective) taken in daylight with auto exposure. My DX7630 was set at (top to bottom) low, high, and natural (default). You can seesignificant changes in coloration, with more color = more red. There is a large difference between the original and what I see on the screen, most ofwhich is attributable to the fact that the target colors are reflected, while the screen colors are transmitted.

Attached Images

Old May 6, 2005, 9:40 AM   #13

Color test, continued.

The 3 levels, light end of the gray.

Attached Images

Old May 6, 2005, 9:41 AM   #14

3 levels, continued.

Face and some of the color ranges.
Attached Images

Old May 6, 2005, 11:24 AM   #15

Thanks for the help. The colour in my DX7440 is set to Neutral. Changing to Low doesn't help. To my mind I see the same purple tinge on every picture You have posted here- especially on the grey fields. Now I have taken pictures in all my rooms focused to the walls and all of them have the same purple tinge.
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 10:12 PM   #16

Here are pictures of a white wall. Please excuse the old old TV. I get the same purple tinge on my DX7440. This looks very warm to me, and after looking at a lot of my pictures, all of them look warm.

Auto White Balance

Attached Images

wile_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 10:13 PM   #17

Fluroescent white balance. Although it is a little blue, this is actually a closer match. Your photoshopped picture that you edited, is how my walls should look too. Pure white.
Attached Images

wile_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 12:29 AM   #18

Yes, that's exatly the same issue. As I said in my other thread, I have tamed to it. Curiosily there are indoor pictures where there is no colour cast at all- 100% pure reproduction of the colour of the wallpaper. I found this method as a very convienentway to judge. I have noticed that I getcloser match when thereis brighter sunshine light through the windows in.
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote