Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 7, 2005, 5:07 AM   #1

OK! I'm given up! No more about the purple tinge in Kodak's pictures! I,ve put up with it. Although I can't pretend not to see it- I see it in my indoor pics, in many Kodak's sample/test indoor pictures in the most popular review sites like Imaging Resource; dpreview; Steve's Digicams...Well I see it as well in indoor pics of other brands like Olympus.

Excuse me- I still have one more unanswered question about DX7440. Why is it so that the shutter speed in all modes, where auto exposure control is used (except for Night Scenes and Manual), is limited to 1/8 sec? It makes the use of Auto modes useless when taking indoor shots in low light. You would say- use the manual controls, but why would then I buy a Point&Shoot camera? Why isn't it mentioned in DX7440 manual!? Please tell me if other Kodak models have the same limitation.
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 3:24 PM   #2

Point and shoot is for people with no camera knowledge,,at all,,,,,,that being said,,the reason they keep it limited to 1/8 second in most modes is due to the fact that that same person who wants only point and shoot would unlikely know enough to use a tripod,,,it`s kodaks way of preventing to many blurry pics because of camera shake....

Don`t get me wrong here,,i`m not saying that you are not knowledgeable,,,just that the majority of point and shoot users are not....

This makes it so either you have to use the flash (which would fix the shutter speed at a high enough point to deter camera shake),,,or you have to learn to use PASM....

Can you imagine the amount of emails kodak would get concerning blurry pics if the shutter was allowed to go down to let`s say 1 or 2 secs....this forces the person to think,,,and say to themselves,,well i guess i need to use the flash.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3

Thanks, Brian! That's a good explanation for me about Kodak tactics. Of coarse I use tripod when shooting at these low speeds. I do it when I shoot indoors where the flash does not reach far enough- in my recording studios big halls. So I must turn the flash off and need the shutter at abot 1 sec.
Old May 8, 2005, 1:15 AM   #4

PS. I think Kodak should have mentioned this in the User's manual because now they recieve hundreds ofcomplaints about dark pictures in indoor shots. And that's because people with less expierence with this camera can't guess about shutter speed limitation.