Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 13, 2005, 2:00 PM   #11

I know what you mean. They don't wanna get sued by some idiot breaking through and getting hurt. I never let that stop me though. I probably am that idiot they were warned about!!! LOL Keep up the good work. I've enjoyed you photos a lot.

Ed
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 8:56 PM   #12

I really like these shots RedDragon. That shot of Al Capones cell is great. Is that how it was supposed to be while he was incarcerated there? I agree with Dawg, whata broodingedifice.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 1:35 AM   #13

Quote:
what a brooding edifice.
Ain't that what they used to say about old Injuns Bob???

Dawg
Old May 14, 2005, 1:22 PM   #14

LMAO. Yes Dawg, I have been told that I have a brooding air about me. Especially by my family. My future Daughter-in-law says I have a dark side.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 2:00 PM   #15

I have to agree with Bigdawg on this one. Those are some great shots. You really captured the lighting and the mood very well. And that shot of Al Capones cell. Wow. You can almost feel the texture on the walls. The composition of the long cell block shots isreally good too. It works well the way you keep to one side and bring out the perspective. You must have used a tripod and played around with manual settings on the camera. Any chance of letting us in on a few of your techniques. What camera was used. I would be very interested to know. Thanks for sharing.
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 2:20 PM   #16

thanks, i alomost forgot, all shots courtesy of my DX6490 !!!:|
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:38 PM   #17

Oh sorry JaktheHat, most of the shots I took in Auto mode. The shot of Al Capone's cell was taken in auto and got it perfect on the first shot. Of course with any low lighting condition I did use a tripod with the timer. The pros say we should shoot EVERYTHING with a tripod. If I wasnt happy with the way it came out I would put in in S shutter priority and maybe bump the exposure up to 1 sec or so but thats it. I should also mention an invaluable trick with my 6490 that you could use with any camera. If I have an area of dark shadow and another area of brightness and I want the darker shadowed area to be seen, I meter the dark area by pointing the center of the frame to that darkened area and hold the shutter button halfway down, then recompose the shot and press the button the rest of the way down. This has really helped me with high contrast photos. Example the shadowed side of a building with a bright sky. Of course it is at the expense of usually "burning" out the sky. Oh and Bob I assume thats the way Capones cell looked, I highly doubt the furniture is original. Thanks again for the interest everyone :G
Old May 18, 2005, 1:42 AM   #18

I've done that quite frequently myself but never thought of mentioning it. That is a very good technique and should be mentioned everytime someone posts a photo useing it, I think. How else can the newbie's like me learn. Good show RedDragon.
Again, you do have the knack of taking this type of photo. Please post more soon!!

Dawg
Old May 18, 2005, 4:41 PM   #19

Thanks RedDragon. I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 12:25 AM   #20

One more for the Dawg and I'm done !
Attached Images