Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 12, 2005, 9:56 PM   #1

I'm giving up my DX6490 after 8 months. I eventually got fed up with the fact that I could not use the optical Zoom while filming. This was so annoying, I was filming my daughters' dance show and each time I'd have to stop to set up the zoom before videoing again. Also I'm not keen on using QuickTime for viewing my clips as Iprefer Window Media Player.

This has reduced my list of new potentials. I loved the quality of the pictures withthe Kodak and the 10x optical Zoom. Most new smaller digital cameras have only 3x zoom, I'm looking for at least 4x minimum.

I have my eye on the Casio Exilim Pro EX-P505 but from reviews the quality of the prints are not all that. I like the quality of the latest Canons but I don't think any of them can use the zoom while filming. I'm I wrong? Only the PowerShot S1 IS has optical Zoom over 3x but it's bulky, looking for a smaller camera now.

I've got myself a challenge!!

chaz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 12:31 AM   #2

But in all honesty, did you expect awesome video quality out of a digicam?
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 12:50 AM   #3

If you want it for the video get a video camera and keep the DX6490 for what it does best PHOTOGRAPHS. I always thought the video was kind of a gimmick anyway. What littleI've used it it was nice but I wouldn't trust it for a special occasion. That is when I'd borrow a video cam or buy one.
But I wouldn't give up the great photographic ability of the 6490 for one!

NUFF sed
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 4:39 AM   #4

I suppose your right but I originally had a Fuji Finepix 4700zoom and Igot used tovideoing with optical zooming when I needed to. After having the Fuji I was let down when I realisedthe Kodak had this short coming even though the DX6490 far out classed the Fuji for picture quality.

I did have a Samsung video camera but it was cumbersome carrying all this equipment when I also had the kids to deal with.

Using Quicktime is also one of my pet hates. I like using Windows movie maker to edit clips but it doesn'tread .MOV files. I've always used PCs rather than Macs and obviously Quicktime isthe softwarefor Macs.

chaz5
chaz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 5:41 AM   #5

Filming a dance recital is hard enough with a regular camcorder just because of the lighting, with a camera video it's near impossible ...

I have to say I'm very impressed with the new video on my camera and it is still Quicktime but it's 100% improved

it's almost 3 megs so give it time ...

http://home.comcast.net/~pfeels/Basil.MOV

I'm sure everybody knows to hit play...

PS Windows Movie Maker 2 is the best software for video editing that is out there, never mind the fact that it's free, what truly makes it great is it's simplicity, just a great tool
pfeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:03 AM   #6

Chaz5 -

Isn't video something of a joke on most still cameras -- meaning small, of low quality? Certainly stills are a joke on most videocams, with their noisy and blurry pictures.

Good luck on your search. You might consider researching -- most camera makers now have manuals for their models online, and the reviews here on Steve's includes specs, though the list doesn't specify MOV, giving "Quicktime" as the format.

A cadre of professional graphic artists work on nothing but Apple equipment and formats, and obviously someone with this bias works for Kodak. Still, with the many mass-market engineering features in Kodak p-and-s cameras, you'd think they'd go fora Windows video.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:20 AM   #7

chaz5 wrote:
Quote:
Also I'm not keen on using QuickTime for viewing my clips as Iprefer Window Media Player.

I use this program for viewing my clips ,Quicktime alternative .It doesn`t require you to install the official Quicktime player.I`ve had no problems using it and it works better than the official player IMHO.And the price is right ...FREE

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4100.html

TommysDad
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:29 AM   #8

Would they actually let an Alabama Red Neck in somewhere named Major Geeks, TD???????

Dawg
Old May 13, 2005, 1:03 PM   #9

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Would they actually let an Alabama Red Neck in somewhere named Major Geeks, TD???????

Dawg

LOL don`t know Dawg...but its a good site anyway!!

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 1:10 PM   #10

I'm going to try it, but I got to warn you the last place that tried to throw me out had to pay out a large sum in insurance bills for 3 employees. LOL

Ed