Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 13, 2005, 7:24 PM   #1

Some of you may remember, I had a lot of trouble getting the pictures off my memory card and I had a lot of trouble making the camera work with my ME computer OR my son's XP computer. The Easy Share software took over my computer and slowed my DSL connection to a slow crawl. My husband could stand it no longer and took our camera back. He didn't take the pics off the memory card before returning the camera. So, I need to get the pictures and short videos off the memory card, what do any of you suggest I try? A USB card reader, Costco or Walmart???

Let me offer this information to you. Part of the problem I had was if I used anything other than the camera and EasyShare software to transfer the pictures and it failed, the pictures could no longer be seen...just a bunch of red x's. So, I have to be careful how I try to transfer the photos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

Sue (of garyandsue)
garyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 8:05 PM   #2

Walmart/Target/anywhere low cost USB card reader should do it. You might have to download a driver from the reader manufacturer for ME (I had to, to geta $16 Lexar reader to work on my portable withWin98se ).

If you should get another Kodak camera, opt for the"advanced" software installation, rather than the default. The default loads the entire thing, which is massive and invasive.

On the advanced installation,you choose just the camera connection driver. With it, when you connect the camera, the computer sees it as a removable drive (like a floppy drive or CD reader).

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 8:33 AM   #3

Just to add a little, the problem I found was the Kodak Updater on the software was out of control and constantly checking for updates which slowed my computer to a crawl ... also when you remove the kodak easyshare software you have to get a removal tool from kodak to do a complete removal ... my new camera came with software that won't load so I put in my old software ... I do not get the updates either because of past problems ... I to think the software if fully installed is way to invasive

There is another way of viewing your pictures with out using the software ... it's a few steps and I'm hoping you have XP

each step will have a / in between them

first hit the START button on your bottom right

START/MY COMPUTER/CLICK ON YOUR CAMERA/PICTURE CARD/DCIM/

then there should be a folder with the pictures in it ... after you click on your camera the folders may be named different than mine but search them all, they are there somewhere

and you can click on one picture at a time and SAVE them, I after opening the picture click the disk icon to save, i have to name it first, each picture needs a different name so you don't erase the previous on ...

Hope I didn't ramble to much and let me know if you need additional help

pfeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 8:52 AM   #4

I have installed the Kodak EasyShare software on 2 different occassions. I didn't like it either time. It's a RAM and processor hog and slows down your 'puter way too much. So I removed it and have no problemstransfering pics frommy DC4800 or DX7590. I use Paint Shop Pro Album mostly to load/catalog the pics or just use windows scanner/camera wizard or even let windows view the files on the camera in explore to transfer the pics.

You would probably do good with a card reader now to get your pics off that card.
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 8:53 AM   #5

cwodave wrote:
Quote:
I have installed the Kodak EasyShare software on 2 different occassions. I didn't like it either time. It's a RAM and processor hog and slows down your 'puter way too much. So I removed it and have no problems transfering pics from my DC4800 or DX7590. I use Paint Shop Pro Album mostly to load/catalog the pics or just use windows scanner/camera wizard or even let windows view the files on the camera in explore to transfer the pics.

You would probably do good with a card reader now to get your pics off that card.
Your way sounds a heck of a lot easer ... lol
pfeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 6:50 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies. I just found that a friend recently bought a 6490, and she has graciously offered to take the pictures off my xD card and put them onto a CD for me. We plan on doing this at my work and we have iMacs with OS X on them, does anyone know if the 6490 will connect via USB to an iMac without installing any software? I can't install any software (EasyShare) on my work computers.

Again, thanks for everyone's help!

Sue
garyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote