Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 13, 2005, 8:14 PM   #1

Good evening,all..I was trying out the sepia option on the camera's menu today and I see almost a circular effect on the photo?..is this what they call noise?..I'm still a noob when it comes to all the digital terms...or is it a focusing problem (on all the horizontal boards)?
lisa:?:
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 8:22 PM   #2

hmmm..first off..sorry..I apologise for the size of this!..secondly..the circular effect is not showing when I post it here??..Must be my program then.In the immortal words of Emily Letilla.."..never mind."
Old May 13, 2005, 8:39 PM   #3

I'm willing to bet it's the moire in the monitor image caused by the lines. In your viewing or editing software, zoom in -- the closer you get to 1:1 (100%), the less you should see this effect.

I don't know if the attached will show the effect on any monitor other than mine:

Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 8:43 PM   #4

DG,that's exactly what I see!...Thanks so much for the explanation.Now I won't panic when and if it happens next time..Thanks again!
lisa
Old May 13, 2005, 8:44 PM   #5

I'll bet DG is right, Lisa. Happens to me sometimes too. Nice shot by the way, I like those old buildings.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 8:56 PM   #6

Noise looks like blotches or like film grain from the days of yore. It usually shows up in dark areas or shadows.

The blotchy multicolor lumps in the magnified (and sharpened and lightened)detail below are noise.

This is from a long exposure test, 64 seconds at f/5.6 at 2:00 a.m. out my front window. The (white) window frame is lit by a 3 watt red night light 10 feet to the right and belowthe window. The odd furry like shape on the left is our orange-and-black longhaired cat, checking out early morning bird action.

And Bob's right - that old grain elevator (or whatever it is) is great.
Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 9:27 PM   #7

Ahh..now I know what noise is..thanks again,DG..I'll know what to look for(I hope I don't have to tho)..lol
Yep..those grain elevators are great but are dying giants up here on the prairies.When I was a kid there was a row of them almost every ten miles..in every town,village and hamlet.Now they are being replaced by those concrete monsters.It's kind of sad to see them go because they were such a familiar site on the horizon..be it if you were on the highway or just in town.Not too far from here where I grew up they saved and renovated a row of them and they are now a national heritage site.I think the only remaining row in western Canada.With my job I have been in some of the towns when they demolished them..quite the sight to see.LOL..I better quit this I am getting nostalgic and tend to go on and on and on...:crazy:
lisa
Old May 13, 2005, 10:05 PM   #8

Don't worry about going on and on, Lisa. I to yearn for a passing way of life. we are losing touch with our past.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:47 PM   #9

Great shot Lisa. I haven't used the sepia or black and white yet as my eyes are starting to fail from cataracts.(too many years of welding and roofing work and outdoor construction) The color photos are just a lot easier to see the detail. I too think that too much is being lost or forgotten. It seems that the march of progress is being performed on the bones of lost tradition! Bob you started it, now you got me doing it! Then again it may be the beer. It seems especially tastey tonight. LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 8:26 AM   #10

Another great shot, this forum is full of them ...
pfeels is offline   Reply With Quote