Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 16, 2005, 6:31 AM   #11

I'm thinking my camera focuses significantly in front of the target (the area that I place in the autofocus brackets while pushing the shutter halfway down).

Below, I focused on the far line of trees against the sky, yet the area of sharpest focus is the bridge and a few hundred feet beyond. (The problem, if there is one, shows up better in the full size image -- I'll excerpt that and put it in the next message).

Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 6:33 AM   #12

Excerpt from the full file. The pine tree along the skyline at top (where I focused) is soft, while treees significantlycloser are pretty much in focus.

No sharpening was applied and the camera setting was on low sharpen.

Attached Images

Old May 16, 2005, 9:30 AM   #13

I think the problem is the lack of pixels for the trees in the distance, if you imagine 1 pixel could be 10 leaves, it doesn't leave much room for sharpening whereas the bridge has some meat around the edges.

All the best, Paul.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 10:55 AM   #14

Thanks. Someone on rec.photo.digital pointed this out. However, when I blow things up tothe pixel level (below), the smallest glob on the pine tree is 4 or 5 pixels wide, while the smallest glob on the bridge is primarily 2.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm trying to figure out what that means. My guess is either that the lens is resolving better on the plane of the bridge than in the distance, or there is some atmospheric problem (it was quite a clear day, however) or the JPEG algorithm is fiddling the edges.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Attached Images