Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 16, 2005, 7:14 PM   #11

Nice shots Dawg..Thanks for thinkin of me:-)...Looks like a really nice town there.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:40 PM   #12

Great shots, Dawg. I think i like the old stone Church the best.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:53 PM   #13

Tom & Huck's house through another CA remover (Photo-Brush).

Commiserations to your wife... I blew a disk and had surgery 8-9 years ago (L4-L5 discectomy) ... was one of the successful ones, so while I can tell when it's going to rain, I rarely have pain. But I still remember the endless torture before, like having a hot poker down your back and leg 24 hours a day.

Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:55 PM   #14

Great shots,Dawg!..I love those old houses/buildings in the South.When I worked down in your part of the world I always use to drive around on my days off and just check out all the old churches,houses and mansions..I wish I would have had my camera then.Up here on the prairies real "old" is a hundred years..lol..You all have a little more history..
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:17 AM   #15

Thanks all of you! I'm sorry about the distortions in the photos but most were taken shooting almost directly into the sun. If you look at the very top left of the first photo you can see a little of the lens hood. The cedar tree in the foreground is blocking the sun so I could get the shot. The vegetation around these houses made it almost impossible to find a good shot at that time of day. I'm sorry Brian but at the present PhotoShop Elements is all I have to work with. The only retouching was auto levels and auto contrast. This town is the oldest incorperated town in Alabama. It was incorperated about 10 years before Alabama became a state.
TD I'll in the near future post some of the houses in Athens Alabama There are a large number of them there built in the early 1800's. Cotton was king then and the cotton fields around here payed for them.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:56 AM   #16

DGehman, my wife has been putting up with the pain in her back for over ten years now. She couldn't get a doctor to take her seriously about the pain. I thought I'd be building a ramp and getting her a wheel chair by this time next year. Finally her Chiropractor convinced a orthopedic surgeon to take an in depth look at her back and found the problem. We go in the morning to see if she'll be getting surgery or something else. She will refuse drugs. I guess we'll know tommorrow. Thanks for your interest!

Dawg
Old May 17, 2005, 6:14 AM   #17

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
DGehman, my wife has been putting up with the pain in her back for over ten years now. She couldn't get a doctor to take her seriously about the pain. I thought I'd be building a ramp and getting her a wheel chair by this time next year. Finally her Chiropractor convinced a orthopedic surgeon to take an in depth look at her back and found the problem. We go in the morning to see if she'll be getting surgery or something else. She will refuse drugs. I guess we'll know tommorrow. Thanks for your interest!

Dawg
May it work out well. And, yes, the drugs are no solution, if it's caused by pressure on the spinal chord.

If surgery, look for a grad from the Duke University spine school, or some equally effective neurosurgical training (sorry, don't know the others) if you have a choice. The Duke-graduate doc I had for my "45-minute" operation spent 4 1/2 hours on me and literally changed my life. Could barely walk into the hospital, but walked out a day and half later.

Dave
p.s. - if PS Elements accepts PS plugins, try the free plug in at http://www.sd3.info/pf828/CAfree/CAfree0-1.htmland its companion at http://www.sd3.info/pf828/PFree/PFree0-1.html
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:57 AM   #18

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg

I hope your wife is OK Dawg,back pain is a real nightmare.I fractured the lower part of my spine around 10 years ago.It was weakened due to an Repetative strain Injury from work.I took a bad fall one day and it fractured in two places.I`m ok most of the time but can`t walk as far as I used to,the cold weather doesn`t help much!!!.

I found that homeopathic remedies helped me with the pain,if you haven`t gone down that path alreadyit may be worth a try.I was skeptical at first but it really helped me,more so than conventional medicine

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 9:10 PM   #19

Dawg, I hope your Wife finds help at the Doctors. Back pain can be one of the most debillitating of pains. Give your wife all our best wishes.

My house was built in 1860, Dawg. It was a drygoods store at one time in the late teens and twenties. I'll post a shot sometime although, the trees would probably obscure it.

Thanks for posting the pics, I know everybody here likes a peek into each others little corner of the world.

Bob

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 12:09 AM   #20

Thanks everyone. I'm deeply touched by your concern for my wife. The doctor said today that she would need a spinal fusion of the L5& S1 portion of her back. They won't be able to schedule it until 7-15. Thanks again.

DGehman I'll have to get those and thanks for the link. Her doctor studied at the university of Alabama in Birmingham at the Spain spinal and rehabilitation Clinic there and is supposed to be a very competent doctor. I pray he is. He'll have a very preciuos cargo of mine in his hands!

TD I apreciate the advice and will talk to the wife about it. She doesn't like most prescription medicines and refuses to take most.Your suggestion will probably find fertile ground with her. Again thanks.

Bob isn't it amazing how so many people from different walks of life can find so much mutual ground just from useing a digital camera. That single interest can bridge so many gaps. Makes you believe in a higher power don't it???

Your friend Edwin Nye Skinner alias the Dawg