Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 16, 2005, 2:38 PM   #1

hi all

just a quicky regarding the kodak 55mm lens adapter, can i use the flash with it ??

anyone know a cheap place in uk i can get one ??

i have got tiffen lense kit for it already is that a good make ??

thanks

paul
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 3:33 PM   #2

Tiffen is a good name in filters,,,,the adapter,,,55mm or 52mm blocks the sensor for flash use,,it will fire,,,but pics will be dark,,you`ll need to either remove it for flash photography,,or buy an external flash and a bracket to hold it...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 3:39 PM   #3

thanks for tips.

do you know where i can gei tips on taking good night shots ?

paul
Old May 16, 2005, 3:47 PM   #4

Wow night shots,,well i could go on all night,,but someone might know a link that would be helpfull,,lol

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 3:51 PM   #5

thanks for the help just going to buy a adapter now .

Old May 16, 2005, 3:58 PM   #6

There is some fella who posted in another thread who may be able to help.
Follow the link on that one as well and maybe it will help.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:51 PM   #7

Cold Snail wrote:
Quote:
There is some fella who posted in another thread who may be able to help.
Follow the link on that one as well and maybe it will help.
Trust Paul when it comes to night shots, especially with the 6490. He is the guru!

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:20 PM   #8

Re: night shots (speaking from my extensive experience base of trying them twice).

Practice running the controls on your camera until you can do them with your eyes closed.

...Because that's likely what you'll be doing on the photo site -- fiddling with things without enough light to see. Use a flashlight? Sure, but you'll have to wait quite a while until your eyes adjust in order to see the scene you're trying to photograph.

A tripod is your friend.

The self-timer is your other friend. (It allows you to work the shutter without causing vibration.) You have to turn it on with each photo.

And your other friend is the ability to take as many shots as you want, review them immediately, and tweak things until it looks right.

And, finally, your real friend is manual mode. There's rarely enough light to allow the camera's automatic functions other than focus to work. And when there IS enough light, the camera is going to try to make it look like noontime on a sunny day, and that's probably not the effect you want.

Between manual mode and instant review, you just keep trying things... higher aperture / lower aperture, shorter shutter times / longer shutter times, zoom in / zoom out... until you see the effect you want. Only in the direst of case do you want to move higher than ISO 100 speed... unless you're looking for that grainy, digital noise effect.

The camera will see things you don't. In the 64-second test below, see the reflection of the lens housing off the front window I'm taking the scene through? I didn't when I took it.

See the green grass, the tan color of my neighbor's place on the left, the blue railing around his above-ground swimming pool, even a little color in the tulips at the base of my very own, leaning telephone pole? I couldn't make out any of these colors or details when I took it.

See the bright blue bit above the basketball hoop in the driveway of my neighbor to the right? That's a reflection off the window of the clock on our microwave in the kitchen, 30 feet behind the camera. I didn't see that, either.

Just one photo -- a whole lot to learn, eh?

Dave
Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote