Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 19, 2005, 6:08 AM   #11

Marinjo wrote:
Quote:
I read quite a lot about how cameras work, and about shooting practise. So now I know the photo basics pretty well.
Oops, sorry - I thought from your question that you were new to this game.

From your further discussion, if you want the camera to adjust for flash automatically, S (shutter) mode might be the way to proceed. The A (aperture) range is not very wide, but the range of shutter speeds is quite wide.

Or - use M, after you know the flash guide number and can calculate the right exposure. This guide number does not seem to be in Kodak's specifications.

So, you can (1) email Kodak to ask them to give you the guide number of the flash on your camera... or (2) derive your own guide number.

I've found a relatively simple way to do (2) here: http://www.libarts.ucok.edu/journalism/Basicflash.html

(Search on the page for "What is GUIDE NUMBER?")
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 7:47 AM   #12

I am new to this game! I had a Medion MD9653only with Auto mode plus EV cor./Metering and Focus modes/WB modes but no manual mode. Nevertheless it made perfect hue balance. After a year with it I switched to DX7440 a month ago which forced me to start learning. So the best pictures until recent I have with Medion. Some day I will post some of them here.

Maris

P.S. The linked site is useful. It's a pitty you have to have a new Flash Guide number in each new room...
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 8:23 AM   #13

Marinjo wrote:
Quote:
P.S. The linked site is useful. It's a pitty you have to have a new Flash Guide number in each new room...
Ah, but you do not. The person who wrote that is a perfectionist. Any room besides a cave will give you a general guide number. Besides, you can bracket exposures without paying for film.

The exact, room-by-room guide number approach is now out of date and useful only for color slide film, which has very little tolerance for exposure error.

You can try many exposure levels in digital and still have a decent photo. Of course, it might take some time in a photo editing program like Photoshop.

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 9:08 AM   #14

well at least you tried ColdSnail thanks for that. Would have said Paul but that is Marshy's name too!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote