Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 17, 2005, 1:38 AM   #1

Hi everyone here! I see most of You posting nice pictures here, but we, the beginners still need help from You, the expierenced ones. When exploring the capabilities of my DX7440 I discovered some odds with the exposure meter.

1.In P mode it takes in account switching the Flash on/off- it reflects in Shutter speed
2.In Manual mode it doesn't take in account the Flash switching On/Off- nothing reflects it.

My question is: why couldn't it react the same in both modes? It seemslogical to me. Please suggest how must I adjust exposure in M mode if I switch the Flash on- the exposure meter does not take in account the light given by flash.

Thanks to all of You. Shortly Itoo willstart posting only pictures- hopefully when I will be short of questions!!!
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 6:31 AM   #2

A bit strange - the DX7630 has the same - flash affects exposure in P, A, and S modes, but nothing changes in M.

Setting flash manually involves a bit of calculation using the flash unit's guide number... and the specs for my camera don't even give that!

http://photography.about.com/library.../aa070703c.htmhas a bit of explanation of how to calculate exposure with manual flash.

But I don't know how to derive the guide number -- maybe you could get an answer if you e-mail Kodak support?
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:40 AM   #3

So farafter questionsregarding the use of Auto modes I frequently recieved the advice to start using the manual modes. That's what I'm doing now. This question about the influence of Flash on the exposure (how much must I change?)is what bothers me.
Old May 18, 2005, 1:15 AM   #4

Keep asking questions that is how we are learning along side of you. As to the flash and 7440 question I don't know the answer but keep asking and someone like ColdSnail will finally see it and answer.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:31 AM   #5

Marinjo wrote:
Quote:
I frequently recieved the advice to start using the manual modes. That's what I'm doing now. This question about the influence of Flash on the exposure (how much must I change?)is what bothers me.
First, without a guide number for the flash, you must experiment when using flash in the M mode. You might try setting exposure 2 or 3 exposure compensation levels down -- for example, let us say that a given picture at f/8 and 1/30 at 100 ISO results in a exposure compensation of "0.0." Try settings of aperture or shutterthat result in "-2.0." You do this by making the shutter faster or the aperture smaller.

But -- P, A and S are also "manual" modes. These modes include the flash in the exposure readouts on the LCD. Why not just use one of these?

P is just like Auto because it automatically sets everything, except that you have3 controls you can change - exposure compensation, flash strength, and ISO speed.

A lets you control the aperture. With a small aperture number (like 2 point eight -- sorry, if I type numeral 8 I get a silly smiley face], the area in focus is small. If you focus on a person standing half a kilometer in front of a hill, the person will be in focus, but the hill will not be. With a large aperture number (like eight, it is likely that both the person and the hill will be in focus. Search the Web for "depth of field" for more information.

S lets you control the shutter speed. A fast shutter speed, like 1/1000, allows you to freeze very fast action, like a motorcyclist in a race. A slow shutter speed, like 16 seconds, allows you to take pictures at night with very little light... but anything that moves will be blurred.

A and S also allow you to control exposure compensation, flash strength, and ISO speed.

Exposure compensation is useful when you take a picture where the subject is dark on a light background, such as a person in a spot of shade on a beach. The light meter system in the camera will try to make the whole beach expose correctly, and the person will be dark. So, you set exposure compensation to +0.7, +1 or +2.

You do the opposite when the subject is light against a dark background, such as a brightly lighted sculpture in a dark art gallery. Here, you would adjust exposure compensation to -0.7, or -1.0, or more.

Flash strength adjustment is most important when you are close to a subject, such as when you make macro photographs. Because Kodak cameras do not reduce flash power when set on macro, you might have to tape white paper or a bit of white plastic over the flash to reduce the power even further.

ISO speed does a couple of things. The lower the number, the less electronic noise in your pictures. However, for a given picture, shutter speed will be lower or aperture will be lower. The higher the number, the more the camera will "see" in low light... but the result will be noisier. Keep the camera at ISO 100 unless you really must capture something in low light.
Old May 18, 2005, 9:34 AM   #6

See I told you someone would answer!! I copied that down Big D . Thanks!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 2:36 PM   #7

Thanks, DG.good info and the link helps too. I'm gonna get the hang of this sooner or later.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 2:51 PM   #8

Jeez, I didn't know anyone was taking notes.

Hope I got it right.

D
Old May 19, 2005, 2:53 AM   #9

Thanks DGehman! It's nice to recieve help! In fact I'm not so lazy, I read quite a lot about how cameras work, and about shooting practise. So now I know the photo basics pretty well. But it is invaluable to get personal advice on exact questions one meets! I can explain why I'm not using P mode in some circumstances (mostly it's about shooting indoors in low light). That's because I want to make various varying shots with and without Flash, to choose the best for me. But as I told some time erlier, the DX7440 is limiting the shutter speed to 1/8sec in all Auto modes (P as well). And in many cases the Exposure figures (aperture and shutter) are in red, the shutter being stopped at 1/8 sec. And so I can't make 2 shots in P mode- one with and the other without flash otherway than adjusting the EV (flash off) until the red numbers turn grey. It's more time consuming and cumbersome, so I would preffer the M mode. But in M as I said You don't see the Flash compensation in Exposur meter. So You see, now we all together (The Beatles-"All Together now...) can rewrite the DX7440 manual and may be get some prize from Kodak!

Glad to meet You all,

Maris.
Old May 19, 2005, 5:04 AM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Keep asking questions that is how we are learning along side of you. As to the flash and 7440 question I don't know the answer but keep asking and someone like ColdSnail will finally see it and answer.

Dawg
I was going to, but I was beaten to it.

(Thank Christ for that, too much typing........):G
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote