Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 19, 2005, 2:44 PM   #1

After seeing a post in the Konica/Minolta section showing the sharpest f/stop, it was a case of monkey see, monkey do.

These were taken with the camera lens alone (no adapter or conversion lens) at the widest setting. I did no afterprocessing and the camera was at "normal" sharpen, fine quality, largest Mp file.

To my eyes, the sharpest photos happen at f/4, f/4.8 and f/5.6.

From f/2.8 to f/4 at 5 feet from the target (car door handle + key hole) shown at 100%.

Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2005, 2:45 PM   #2

5 feet, f/5.6 to f/8.

Attached Images

Old May 19, 2005, 2:47 PM   #3

10 ft, f/2.8 to f/4

Note the large amount of chromatic aberration (purple fringing) at f/2.8 -- you can see it mainly in the roofline and the bolts on the basketball stanchion (growing out of the roof of the car).

This CA diminishes by the time you reach f/4.

Attached Images

Old May 19, 2005, 2:48 PM   #4

10 ft. f/5.6 to 5/8.

CA is pretty much gone by f/5.6 - f/6.7.

Attached Images

Old May 19, 2005, 4:00 PM   #5

Thanks DGehman,you must have a lot of spare time :-).

I have learned a great deal from reading your forum posts as I`m sure many other forum users have.Please keep them coming.I find I get my sharpest pics at f5.6 especially on landscapes

Thanks again

TommysDad

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 4:49 PM   #6

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
Thanks DGehman,you must have a lot of spare time :-).
Not really. I have a lot of free moments between getting things done as a freelance writer -- no, not novels, not hard-hitting prose for major magazines, but press releases and articles for a lot of technical stuff.

Cobbling stuff together for this forum actually helps me hone some skills, so in some ways I'm gaining as much or more than anyone reading them. For me, the hardest part is welding words together with pictures... words come easier for me...

This sharpness test (brief evaluation, really, not a real test) took maybe 20 minutes total and is part of my attempt to get as much sharpness as possible out of my camera... it just isn't as sharp as I want.

Dave

Old May 19, 2005, 5:17 PM   #7

My girlfriend and I are volunteer reporters for a local community paper( sorta like Lois Lane and Clark Kent but without the red Y-fronts),I also take pictures for the stories that we cover,thats the main reason I use this forum,to learn,and to take better pictures,not forgetting the banter!!!.We cover the community,regeneration,localevents etc,I like it ,and after a long reoccuring illness(M.E./CFS chronic fatigue) it has helped me to get my life back on track..

Thanks again

TD
Old May 19, 2005, 7:58 PM   #8

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
My girlfriend and I are volunteer reporters for a local community paper( sorta like Lois Lane and Clark Kent but without the red Y-fronts),I also take pictures for the stories that we cover,
There's nothing like it -- the closest I've come is working for several years on a monthly magazine. You end up thoroughly knowledgeable on whatever your beat is. And there something about publication staffs... there's always someone unbelievably funny, others with attitudes or habits that are endearing or exasperating, moments of fantastically good perspective and always, good conversation...

During my time on the monthly,we could work on stories over two or three weeks, which is essentially nopressure.Only lately have I been doing some stories that require turnaround by the next day and at firstI felt the deadline pressure strongly.

But working on a weekly (or is it daily?) -- my hat's off to you, as that takes more fluency with words than I've got. Going out to gather a story is more work than people think until they try it. And especially in the face of ME/CFS.

I'm more a back-room writer... put me on a live interview and I'm one of those people who wake up in the middle of the next night thinking of a good question, far too late. Send me to an event, and I can sum it up -- two weeks from now... and when I'm there, I unerringly head for the center of nothing-going-on.

Much impressed, and good luck, and enjoy.

Dave

Old May 19, 2005, 8:44 PM   #9

DGehman wrote

Quote:
But working on a weekly (or is it daily?)

Its a weekly thing ,we have meetings on a Monday morning ,and we basically pick our own assignments (weknow theboss which helps a little).The town is divided up into 6 areas,the deadline is 2 weeks per area running throughout the year.Things are pretty relaxed and there are plenty of laughs.We both see it as an opportunity to learn the trade and become freelance writerslike yourself.Sorry to stray from the subject a little.

Regards

TD
Old May 19, 2005, 9:04 PM   #10

Thanks for the comparison testing DG. It's helping me to understand it a little more. I have trouble with the clarity of my shots sometimes because of being partially color blind, what looks good to me may not necessarily look good to others. I also have an eye problem that only allows me to see out of one eye or the other. So sometimes due to eye strain, I can't really judge the sharpness.

TD, I'm glad that you have found something that you like and that it has helped keep you on track. So many people that I know get an injury or illness and then they just give up. You have to try and keep going. I know from experience. This hobby has got me up and moving again and i'm thankful for it.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote