Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 21, 2005, 7:57 AM   #11

The 6490 is my first digital camera and I have been trying some macro shots, too. Here is one I thought was decent. It was shot in auto mode and after reading some stuff here, I realize it could be much better in PASM, with an f-stop setting to give me a better DOF. Well, that's what it's all about. Trying and learning.

Robert
Attached Images

gpz2zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 8:20 AM   #12

gpz2zrx,,i hope you are going to turn off that date stamp on your camera,,,if you ever get a real nice shot you want to print off you can`t remove that date stamp,,unless you photoshop it,,,it`s a big pain in the butt,,,if you want to know when it was shot it`s in the exif data anyway.....if that stamp is in a high detail area it`s hard/impossible to do a decent removal too....just letting you know in case you weren`t aware...i shut that off after the first picture,,lol

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 8:20 AM   #13

Gotta love when you click send and you get 2 posts,,,lol
Old May 21, 2005, 9:21 AM   #14

IF you just posted your name only you'd get attention brian!
Robert the F-stop change will help get all of the plant into focus and help bring out a little more detail. Not to say there aren't times when you'd be better off with it too. that's the great thing about digital it don't cost to experiment. If you don't have a tripod. Make that one of your first purchases, then use it a lot. It will help steady your shots and remove some of the noise. Also if you get that TCON you'll need the tripod for those long shots.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:45 AM   #15

Yeah, Brian. I forgot I had the date stamp on until after the fact. My wife likes it for "occasion" pictures, so I have to keep remembering to cut it off. No use in trying to tell her about EXIF data. :-) Also, a tripod is first on my list of things to get. Here's one more for your appraisal.
Attached Images

gpz2zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 11:43 AM   #16

quite a decent shot there,,,,when you go into PASM mode be selective on what aperature you do choose though..the shot you took that had low depth of focus is what you want,,,,you do not want the background coming anywhere close to being in focus,,it will distract from your main theme..

Brian
Old May 21, 2005, 1:55 PM   #17

The main theme of the first shot above is the blossom and to get all of the blossom to stand out sharply you need it all in focus!! If the outer parts are not in focus on that shot it will be a distraction to me , as I would not be able to see the whole blossom! That is the way I, and I want to emphasize I, would like to see it. There is no hard and fast rule on this it is really subjective and up to the one taking the photo to determine how he or she will want the subject to be displayed. The ones that say never do it that way should back off and let the person that is taking the photo to do it their way. The second shot benifits from having the background out of focus. Different situations demand different techniques.

Dawg
Old May 21, 2005, 2:06 PM   #18

Sorry Robert I got soooo wound up talking that I forgot to say how much I liked that second shot. Beautiful colors there . Try it at different times of day with differing light angles. Sometimes the sunlight can bring out the colors in a different way. Different shadows can increase the color contrast for more stunning effects.

Dawg
Old May 21, 2005, 3:58 PM   #19

getting wound up about what Dawg,,,

Here is all i was stating..........see the attached pic,,not all macros have to have the entire flower in focus,,(not writen in stone by the way),,,,but mostly all macros will not have the background in focus,,as it can distract from the flower...

Both of those were nice macros,,the first might have looked better with all the flower in focus,,,but if you are going for a certain part of the flower it`s acceptable that some of that flower be out of focus too..

Brian

P.S. this is NOT my picture i`m showing,,just used as an example..
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2005, 4:25 PM   #20

I was getting wound up talking Brian and that is what I said.
Quote:
Sorry Robert I got soooo wound up talking that I forgot to say how much I liked that second shot
Sorry if it is a problem for me to talk, but I will at any time I feel the urge. I was not in any way putting you down but was pointing out the fact that sometimes you wouldn't want it to have an out of focus background. That's all! I see from your post that you agree, so what is the matter with what I said??

Dawg