Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 24, 2005, 3:36 PM   #1

Hello all,
I'm the proud owner of a new Kodak DX7590. This is my first digital camera and I'm still experimenting a lot, but I must say I love it so far.

I've noticed that almost all of the pictures I take of the sky present a dark spot on the top left quadrant. It's always there irrespective of zoom, but it does seem to become more apparent when the focus is closer.

I'm attaching a sample, I only took this to illustrate the problem, there's nothing interesting in the pic!

Could it be dirt on the lens?
If so, what's the best way of cleaning it?

I'm starting to get worried because of this!
Attached Images

Mac G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 4:00 PM   #2

Another one, because the first one is just so ugly!
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2005, 4:03 PM   #3

If it`s in the same spot each pic,,then yes it`s either dirt in the lense,,which you should be able to see,,,,look into the lense under a bright light,,see if you see a dust flake.....

If not,,then you have the same problem i had about a year ago,,almost exactly a year to be honest,,,lol....

What happened to me was a piece of machining metal burractually came loose and stuck to the sensor,,and i was less than a few weeks from an important vacation outing to see the Tall Ships in Halifax Nova Scotia......

Iwas more than not impressed,,so following a fellow forumer at DPreview i bought a can of compressed air from a computer retailer,,the kind used to blow out keyboards,,,i opened the SD compartment and the battery door,,removed both items,,and blew the crap out of it,,literally............

One piece of advise though,,,these spray cans will freeze anything that you spray close to,,if you use short burst it won`t,,,but hold it on and you`re looking for trouble....i also blew arround where the adapter tube screws in,,,i could actually see the piece after that just ahead of the ap blades,,,,out of the sensors sight.....it was shiny,,looked to me like a piece of thread chasing from aluminum....quite small...

If it`s under warranty,,they advised me at the time to take a few pics and leave them in the internal memory,,so the tech could se them when sent in....i never did send it in though,,,it would be like cutting off my left leg doing without it for a month....

You can email kodak,,and they`ll give you a return authorization number,,,before sending it in to them....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 4:06 PM   #4

If it's on every photo in exactly the sameplace(at least, where this area presents any visible contrast), then you might consider it to be dirt on the image sensor. There are some examples that look somewhat the same in the link below. There is also a test you can do to highlight the problem even further, if it is something to do with the camera's sensor.

Usually dirt on a lens or even specks between lens elements are hard to see on photos, but you might want to shine a small flashlight into it while you are going from wide angle to telephoto, just to eliminate that possibility.

(Note that you cannot clean your sensor, the way the web page author can clean the one onhis digital SLR -- if you are plagued bydirt or a manufacturing defect, Kodak should be willing to make it right.)

The link: http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 4:56 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for your very informative answers, Brian and Dave.
I'd rather not send the camera to Kodak yet, at least not without testing these methods first!

So, let's see. I did what the website (http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm) said. I took a picture of a blank sheet of paper at f/8. I used regular light and a shutter speed of around 1". Opened the file in photoshop, did "Auto levels" and voila.
A very nasty spot! Two of them, even!
I couldn't see anything big on the lens, I tried using the flashlight and all I could see was the usual dust that I can't get rid off.

What do you think? Is it CCD dust?
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2005, 4:59 PM   #6

double post, sorry
Old May 24, 2005, 5:21 PM   #7

Mac G ,,,,,sure looks like it,,usually dust on the lense won`t affect your pics,,unless it`s a very large flake,,,close to the sensor,,,,which on these cameras,,,is very small...

I think you are getting what i got,,but i`d say smaller pieces though,,,,my shots if viewed at 800x600,,,showed a piece that was not round,,but on my 17" monitor was about 1/2 inch long,,viewed in Photoshop..

If you are going to try the compressed air can,,,,you must also know that if you do screw something up,,kodak will likely not warranty the camera,,i was in the postion where i had no choise,,if i wanted to go on that trip....just stay away from the multi-coated lense with that air can....i`m not sure what a quick freeze/unthaw would do to the coating,,could crack it,,,,i`ve seen this on multicoated eyeglasses going from hot to extreme cold..

Brian
Old May 24, 2005, 6:29 PM   #8

I found when I first fitted the Kodak lens adapter,tiny particles came off the threads(probably plastic off the lens adapter).I just cleaned this off using an improvised blower,which was (don`t laugh) a squeezy plastic ketchup bottle,(washed out and dried thoroughly on a radiator)...oh yes ...the internet is a hive of information!!!!

N.B. I will not be held responsible for void warranties due toketchup on a lens !!!

BrianHare without a DX6490.....I just can`t imagine it,,:G

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 7:48 PM   #9

Yup TD,,would be a nightmare,,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Brian
Old May 24, 2005, 9:18 PM   #10

Oh well... It sucks that it's a CCD problem, the camera is less than a month old.
It's been bought in Spain and I live in Argentina, so sending it to Kodak in Europe... I'd better not.

I'll try the ketchup bottle and air spray thing. Besides any damage caused by air would be kind of hard to pin point. I guess it will hardly void the warranty if they don't know what really happened to it.:roll:

So... where should I spray the air through, the memory compartment or the batery compartment?