Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 25, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1

Camera: Kodak Z740

I intend to use the camera for Close shots .actually pictures for dentistry ( close up of teeth) . Used the pre-set menu for Clsoe up pictures but the images are coming blurred, it's not getting focued...can someone telll why or is there any way to take such pictures
scolvenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 7:09 PM   #2

Scolvenk,,firstly welcome to the forum.Are you using any zoom on the macro (flower)setting.If you are don`t.Try to find a distance between the camera and the subject( in your case teeth) where the camera will focus.

To focus the camera ,depress the shutter button halfway,until you see a green dot,then press the shutter fully to take the picture.Forgive me for the basic explanation ,I do not know your knowledge of photography...

Hopefully someone with a z740 will give a better explanation, but I think the camera is similar to mine.

The people in this forum are friendly and helpful, you will be taking clear pictures of teeth in next to no time.

TommysDad

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:26 AM   #3

Move it in and out, each time pressing the shutter button half way in. Anytime you get a green dot it is in focus. That is only part of the solution though. You must hold it very still when you push the shutter button all the way down and don't move for about a second or two. If you have any more questions please ask and all of us here will try to help. I'm using a DX6490 and may not know all the answers to your questions but someone will. Welcome to the forum!!!

BigDawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 3:15 PM   #4

Scolvenk,

I don't know your level of knowledge so please exuse these basic suggestions.

1. Press the macro button on the top of the camera to put yourself in macro mode.

2. set the lens to the widest (ie NO zoom) and don't go nearer than 5 inches to the subject.

3. for handheld, you need plentry of light and if you are up against a face, this may be difficult, as you press the fire button halfway toget the focus, check the camera speed in your viewfinder, you don't really want to be shooting at less than 1/125 if you can help it for handheld

4. obviously you cannot use flash when you are so close to a face, so maybe you will need a tripod and then press the '2 second delay' button when taking the picture this will give you blur free pictures at low shutter speeds. There is enough resolution at the 5MP setting for you to be able to really zoom in on your down loaded photo's and get the detail you need.

You will NOT get the lens of this camera into someones mouth to photograph awkward angles- the focal range will be too short, but some other digital cameras can be as close as about 1 cm from the subject but again, your problem will always be the availability of having enough light for a decent picture.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 12:51 PM   #5

thanks for the reply to my post.

And You were quite right about my Knowlegde about Photography .Just Started..

Following ur advice, i was able to focus on teeth (outside smiles )

But i have one more requirement .

I need to take pictures of teeth inside the mouth .

but i am not able to focus on inner teeth
Old May 31, 2005, 1:32 PM   #6

scolvenk wrote:
Quote:
i am not able to focus on inner teeth
Kodak does not give us manual focus. The default multi-zone focus picks up on the nearest high-contrast boundary, which is likely to be the exterior tooth against the dark background of the mouth interior, or along thelip or gum.

Without knowing your camera, I don't know if you have any auto focus options. On mine, I have multi-zone, center, and selectable. Selectable seems to give the smallest autofocus zone. It's not in the manual (at least not where I can spot it), but you select the zone with the little joystick -- center/left, center/center, center/right.

You might also try a single-LED flashlight. Shine the light where you want to focus, press the button halfway down, douse the light, and take the picture. Maybe. (But I just saw from Steve's review that your camera already has a focus light, and that may already be a relatively tightly constrained LED beam...)

A sharper bit of light would come from a laser pointer, but you as a dentist are going to have to determine if visible laser light poses a threat to the teeth you're targeting.

But in the long run, you will probably be happiest with a camera that you can focus manually.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:59 PM   #7

Would it be possible to use a small mirror in the mouth - this would have two effects, firstly and most importantly, it would help gather light from outside the mouth and help illuminate the inner teeth.

secondly, you could photograph the image on the mirror, which would allow you to keep the camera and lens outside the mouth.

I have no idea whether this is a practical solution.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:43 AM   #8

One More thing that i need to understand about Z740 ..please those who have Z740

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Mode Selection : AUTO

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I Press the Macro Button on TOp od the camera ... The LCD screen doesn't show any sign of the MACRO Mode being Chosen .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Second thing: for Macro work , which of the following mode should be chosen

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. Auto Mode ..then Press the Macro Mode on top

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. Pre-setups ...Close Up setup

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3. Or Should i try the PASM mode ,( would need help in configuring the manual controls for Macro)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:58 AM   #9

Norm's thoughtful reply triggeredquestions -- the answers might allow more of us to suggest useful things to try.

What exactly are you trying to photograph? Surface irregularities (like cavities or discoloration on teeth)? Tooth alignment (that is, the way one tooth lines up with others)? Gum conditions?

Are you looking to photograph the inside of the teeth (let's call it tongue side), or the outside (the lip side)?It would seem, the inside.

What kind of illumination or lighting is available to you? Where does it come from (e.g., lamp on your head, dentist's lamp above patient, etc.)

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote